What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

opinions on best mix

I was wondering what kind of sphagnum would be better...LFS or just shpagnum moss. Right now I am using sphagnum and perlite because I didnt know about LFS but if it would be better to change my mix I am willing to do so.

Victoria

LFS is "long fiber sphagnum" ... so isn't what u are saying the same?

I wanted to use perlite..but I didn't as I read somewhere that as it ages....perlite releases flourides which are bad for nepenthes roots. Thats why I went with pure long fiber sphagnum this time.

I've found mixes with too much sphagnum (lfs and sphagnum are the same - there's also LIVE sphagnum) tend to pack down and get slimy over time. I still use it in smaller containers as it does hold water well, but mixed with half chunky bits like orchid bark or pumice. As I start moving my nepenthes into larger pots, I switch to a chunkier mix with no lfs at all. It's about half shredded cedar mulch (cheap in big bags from the garden store), well rinsed, and half other chunky bits like perlite, pumice, or charcoal or fir orchid bark. This drains better, and in the larger pots doesn't dry out too fast. Nepenthes like open mixes where water can move over the roots.

Capslock

I am in too late now. I guess all I can do is learn the hard way :( I have wasted 19$ of good quality LFS as the potting mix for my 3 new neps. :( It was based on the friend who has a nepenthes greenhouse and even the potting mix posted on "nepenthes university".

I thought there was a difference because the stuff I bought is like a powder and labeled sphagnum moss and stuff that was sent in trades looks totally different.

So perlite is bad or good to use in the mix? I know it is time for me to change my mix because as capslock said it is getting slimy and compact. All my Neps are doing good now but I dont want to wait for them to do bad to change the mix.

okay! see this:

this is how long fiber spahgnum looks like...its like as it sounds...long fiber like...basically its just the dried sphagnum moss.

mixmr7.jpg

now...I am kinda unsure of what u are exactly reffering to...are u talking about sphagnum peat? is it brown-black in colour? if it is, then thats called peat moss. its spaghnum that has semi decomposed. That is definately a bad mix for nepenthes. That definately will become compact and holds too much water.

I heard that Long fiber on the other hand is fine but you just may have to change it in just 2 yrs or so.

Going by our description, I definatly have the sphagnum peat moss....the outside label just said sphagnum moss so I assumed that it was the right stuff. Will the peat moss work for any other CPs? I have a HUGE bag of it so I dont want it to go to waste.

Well, looks like I have a lot of replanting to do, lol.

Thanks for your help!

You can use peat moss for Neps, just you can't use straight peat. Mix it heavily with perlite or orchid bark or something and it would be fine.

As for a mix suggestion - everyone is going to tell you something different. I, for one, hate coco-peat products and grow all my neps in straight Long Fiber Sphag until they are out of 4" pots, then I start adding orchid bark. As long as you just topwater LFS and let it drain out well , it doesnt break down *that* fast. If you leave it soaked it does. Then again, I've never left a plant in a pot over a year.

I use equal parts peat moss, perlite, and orchid moss. I'm no where near a veteran as some of the opinions here; but, this mix seems just fine for now. I've even done peat, perlite, and vermiculite before (I couldn't get a hand on all the ingredients) and to be honest, the plant in that mix is probably the best looking one in my collection. If you can, put LIVE sphagnum as a top dressing. I only have one nep like that but it sure looks great and probably raises the relative humidity ever so slightly. You can also use the live sphagnum as a gauge for measure when you need to water.

xvart.

I like 1/1/1 of fir bark, perlite, and LFS.

I'm not a fan of lfs live or dried myself. It seems to hold too much water making the mix soggy, I like letting it drain through and need to be watered again within a few days.
I do use some peat mixed with a lotta perlite. I mix that with bark, lava rock and charcoal and that's pretty much the mix I'm usin these days...

When I needed to repot my neps I just threw together a bunch of stuff that I heard were good to use.. I think I mixed.. peat, LFS, orchid bark, and a bit of perlite. It seems to work fine I guess.

What is fir bark? What is the difference between it and orchid bark? Where do you get the charcoal and what is the bennefits of using it and what if any are the disadvantages of it?

What is the difference between activated carbon and charcoal? We have lots of activated carbon that we use in our reef tanks.

Thanks everyone for all your input, so far I think I will go with a mixture of things and try different things for different Neps until I find the right mix for my environment.

Thanks!
Victoria

Thanks everyone for all your input, so far I think I will go with a mixture of things and try different things for different Neps until I find the right mix for my environment.

That's all we can do! Just make sure to let us all know if you find the one Nepenthes potting mix to rule them all!

xvart.

Victoria, the more lfs you use, the less often you should water. The pot should just start to get light before you water agin. And never let it sit in standing water. If you use chunkier mixes, you should water more. Oh, and most orchid bark is fir bark. The bags I have say orchid bark only. Use your peat moss with some orchid bark and maybe some perlite or pumice, and you have a fine mix. Go half peat moss and half chunky.

Here's a pic of my mix - this is an itty bitty seedling I just took out of the seed tray. I use shredded cedar mulch instead of orchid bark, but it's only been a few months. So far I'm thrilled with it.

N-74.jpg

Capslock

You must have to rinse that stuff a lot before it is usable.. I do like the look of that though.

Yeah, I rinse the heck out of it! But it comes clean. I also have to throw away huge pieces of wood that are in there. But it's super cheap, and I really like the level of water retention it gives, and the seeming resistance to the carpet moss I get on everything always.

Max

I also like the look of that mix! So what are the pros and cons of the ceader mulch instead of orchid bark?

Looks like it holds the water better than orchid bark.. since orchid bark generally isn't shredded. Is that all you use? The mulch and perlite?

Back