What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

recovery time

glider14

Always a newbie
looking at some of my neps, i recall how long it took for them to recover and adjust to new conditions. fastest time for me was 2 weeks(N. talangensis) longest was N. ventrata that took 9 months to produce a pitcher. what are your experiences?
Alex

My Truncata didn't skip a beat after being shipped, but Rafflesiana has always been a tempermental one....being in suspended animation for 4 months, and another 2 months for a pitcher after moving outside....then it was time to bring it back in! Um, it seems some highland species are actually more touchy to me though. Ventricosa, Judith Finn, and Rajah...holy man, Rajah is touchy, but I haven't tried to do anything to it. Just a five degree difference in the normal daytime temps seems to set it back day or two.

so my ventrata will take 9 months to produce 1 pitcher!!!

i had it for a week now and it looks like its not growing. It doesnt seem to be dying either execpt for 1 small pitcher that had a hole in it.

I've had a lot of plants that act like nothing happened, and then I've had some take forever. My raff gigantea was a victim of some soaring summer temps (106ish) for about a week...in a box...on my doorstep...while I was out of town. It took 11 months to come back, and even now, I still wouldn't say it has fully recovered

My Truncata didn't skip a beat after being shipped, but Rafflesiana has always been a tempermental one....being in suspended animation for 4 months, and another 2 months for a pitcher after moving outside....then it was time to bring it back in! Um, it seems some highland species are actually more touchy to me though. Ventricosa, Judith Finn, and Rajah...holy man, Rajah is touchy, but I haven't tried to do anything to it. Just a five degree difference in the normal daytime temps seems to set it back day or two.

How big are your Rajah pitchers?

I just recently had a Rafflesiana shipped to me. It seems to be doing well considering it was shipped bareroot, and is now growing on my windowsill at what I would say is intermediate conditions (I think... Temperatures are usually in the low 70s during the day and 68-69 F during the night; lower temperatures compared to lowland conditions, but less temperature change compared to highlands conditions.) Its one adult pitcher hasn't died yet, though it has closed, and the other pitchers seem to be forming nicely. Hopefully it will speed up. I also just bought an X Black Dragon, which hasn't lost a pitcher yet. Kind of off topic, but does anyone know how big x Black Dragon pitchers get?

my rajah had a pitcher of about 6 inches, but it lost it when we lost power in december. Right now I only have one pitcher about 4 inches.

black dragon pitchers eventually get up to about 12 or 13"

I put my collection outside, under the porch. I figured a week oughta been enough time to acclimate to being outside and decided to move them 2' forward, where they got direct sunlight, instead of indirect light. Bad move. I killed a few of them and the rest got pretty mad at me, taking anyhwere from a few weeks to a few months to recover.

My N. ventricosa 'red' I got about 3-4 months ago. It's only started to make tiny pitchers now.

Back