What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ramispina tips.

I have been researching this species on the web and am getting tons of conflicting information about. Some claim it is a very easy species to grow and very adaptable. While others claim it is extremely difficult. Anyone out there had success and would be willing to share tips? I have aquired a plant but mostly have lowlander species/hybrids. This plant is apparentlly an intermediate species. Again some conflicting info , light levels some claim needs high level and others say not so much if you want them to color up? Any info on this beautiful species would be appreciated.

macamus3

While others claim it is extremely difficult
nowhere near the truth. if ramispina is like my N. sanguinea (closely related) its extremely easy, rewarding and fun to watch develop. the higher light you give it the more the leaves look purple. other wise they will be green. the more light you give it the darker the pitchers would be. i dont know how pale they will be if not given enough light...
hope that helps
Alex

my ramispina is growing on my windowsill with temps 65-75 and humidity 25-75%.
seems to be growing well, with very red leaves, and pitchering well.
I am no expert, but ramispina seems like an adaptable plant.
It might be a little hot where you live in the summer. do you have A/C where you live?

Thanks Alex and thanks zero. That puts my mind at ease. I to have a widowsill N sanguinea and if iN ramispina is as easy I should have no problem.
Yes zero, you can't live here in summer without A/C. Grow most of my indoor plants in glass tanks on windowsills as A/C lowers humidity to low teens. In process of rebuilding greenhouse but will not be ready till sep07. Have only kept all lowlanders but want to try intermediates and highlanders now. Took about 10 years to improve my cultivating skills on lowlanders. Much easier even outdoors in this area. Have been experimenting with cooling methods indoors on glass tank indoors and ready to try some intermediate species. I know N. sanguinea is a intermediate species but I have it growing in a lowlander environment and is doing great.

Thanks again guys,

macamus3

It could only be difficult if you grew it in a lowland environment. N. Ramispina is very easy to grow.

Just to make it clear, I agree with everyone here about it being easy. I have given mine no special attention and it is doing fine. It's a very nice plant and I especially love the look of mature pitchers.

xvart.

Would it take like more than 2 weeks to root if I got a offshoot that has almost no roots but a healthy stem and growth tip? :p becos mine hasn;t moved or budged yet...but its still green and fresh

Would it take like more than 2 weeks to root if I got a offshoot that has almost no roots but a healthy stem and growth tip?

Yes, it typically takes months. You can even get new leaves to grow from the cutting without the new roots in place.

I have grown three different forms of N. ramispina. While they are generally easy, I have one form growing that can be difficult to keep it pitchering all the time.

Sanguinea is much more of a trooper than ramispina. My sanguinea hasnt even flinched since I bought it but my ramispina is threatening to croak on me with a growing tip that's almost disappeared.

I guess I should be waiting till sept to see any new results :p

N. ramispina has been very easy for me in highland conditions. It's never blinked and pitchers on every leaf:

N-95.jpg

Capslock

One day I'm going to move to San Fran and maybe then I'll be able to grow highlanders as easily as Max does!

OMG! WOW! that is beautiful. :D

It is a very beautiful species. The black and green contrast are awesome. That is what attracted me to this Nepenthes.

macamus3

And that is the N. ramispina with adult pitchers that I was referring to up there!

xvart.

I've grown N. ramispina a few times and I've had limited success with it. I've found N. sanguinea to be a much hardier/easier plant. The last N. ramispina I had didn't like my conditions at first, so the main plant died and shot up several basal shoots that proceeded to pitcher after a few months.

Capslock: Beautiful plant my friend. I swear, between you and Elgecko, I don't have a chance when it comes to Neps! Haha!

Back