What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Few Nepenthes

One draw back to having these plants is where they decide to drop there pitchers. Makes them very difficult to photograph so I apologies that some have there back to you :evil:

muluensisxlowiiInermis.jpg

Burkei.jpg

Burbidgeae.jpg

RokkoxVeitchiixVeitchii.jpg

They look....healthy. Nice pics :-D

very nice! how long have you had your muluensis x lowii? i got one just a little under a month ago. i love your burbidgeae!
Alex

My favorite is the Burbidgeae, where do they come up with these names?

Frederick William Burbidge's wife

yeah, for some reason N. burbidgeae reminds me of N. rafflesiana

it reminds me of Christmas :D looks almost good enough to eat!!
My favorite is the Burbidgeae, where do they come up with these names?
if the second names ends in -ii (N. lowii) or -ae (N. burbidgeae) its named after a botanist or some other important figure. -ii stands for a male figure and -ae stands for a female figure. other names like N. northiana dont end in -ae but is named after Mrs. North who discovered the species. other names have latin meanings. N. ventricosa comes from the word ventricose which means having a "pot belly". if it ends in -ensis (N. muluensis) it means it comes from a specific place. in the case N. muluensis, Mulu is the name of the mountain it is found on. Gunung Mulu. Muluensis literally means "from Mulu"

Alex

I believe that the -ae and the -ii come from the latin singular genative form of a proper noun showing possesion, such as litterally meaning the Nepenthes of the woman Burbidge

mrs. north did not discover northiana, but simply painted it

my memory yet again deceives me :D sorry bout that :)
Alex

Back