What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Almost 'upper' N. 'Predator'

A recent pitcher opened on N. 'Predator'. The peristome used to be solid maroon on all the older pitchers, now the color is starting to weaken and the 'teeth' are starting to become more pronounced.

This is an older pitcher from the same plant. As you can see much darker coloration and a less extreme peristome. My plant seems to be taking on more hamata genes as it progresses.
P9180032.jpg

9f46c659.jpg

This is the newest pitcher, while the size 'approx 14 inches' appears to be staying constant, coloration and peristome changes are evident.
P6030005.jpg

P6030006.jpg

Sweet!!! I've never seen a Predator upper pitcher!!! Keep us posted!!!! Thanks

Fantastic plant! I really wish someone could cross it back onto a hamata. Or better yet, a hairy hamata.

Clint: your avatar just made me rofl...

that plant... it looks so...so EVIL!!!!! i love it! one of these days...

I love those pics!!!!
it's beautiful!!

Lmao, it's Super Action Hotdog from a cartoon called Perfect Hair forever, in which the balding gerald goes on a quest to Tuna mountain to defeat the evil Coiffio and get perfect hair. The Hotdog can only talk in tongue and sounds like "Do the lalalalalalal"

Well it's this if you want to watch it lol
http://youtube.com/watch?v=twmJvjDLLeA

Ok now back on topic :)

Is it even possible to buy a predator anywhere, or are they as hard to come by as a hamata?

Is it even possible to buy a predator anywhere, or are they as hard to come by as a hamata?

I have the very same question. I don't recall ever seeing one available for purchase.

It was available from a few US vendors but has pretty much become a collectors plant. If you do find one for sale expect to pay a good deal of $$ for it. I do not know why people think hamata is so rare, I see it from a number of vendors.

It was available from a few US vendors but has pretty much become a collectors plant. If you do find one for sale expect to pay a good deal of $$ for it. I do not know why people think hamata is so rare, I see it from a number of vendors.

every time I see a hamata listed, is is always followed with "out of stock". Always. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places.

To this day I've only seen N. hamata available a handful of times, and every time it has been pricey and has sold out quickly. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places as well...

That's a beaut of a pitcher! Lucky you for having a Predator. :)

I managed to get a hold of a hamata! Yes...it is quite pricy, and I was woried it wouldn't grow well for me, but the plant came healthy and I've had it for about 2 months and it's still going good :). You just have to find a vendor that does stock it, ask them when they will get it in, and pull an all nighter that day to get one :-)) lol, that's how I got a hold on mine!

Another way to get one would be to monitor the NASC auction very closely. ;)

Max

lol, yep yep ^.^

I've had a few in my care that died because I knew so much less about Neps then than I do now. I'm tempted to try another but I've convinced myself that my temps are just too hot for the little buggers. Although it's also quite possible I also overwatered them. I since have gotten the hang of the wet/dry cycle most Neps require to stay healthy.

Well, I keep my hamata in an a terrarium with the lid open about 30%-35%. The humidity isn't that high either. I think the real secret to keeping this plant healthy is a drop in night time temps. Mine isn't that big, about 3 inches in diameter... but it seems healthy and is pitchering well in the low humidity just fine... I the most I keep the water level to is about half way up the pot and I water it when the water tray is dry for about a day. Also the drainage is pretty quick, it's growing well in bark and coconut fiber/husk mix. I hope this info helps you out a bit :bigthumpup:

Well, I keep my hamata in an a terrarium with the lid open about 30%-35%. The humidity isn't that high either. I think the real secret to keeping this plant healthy is a drop in night time temps. Mine isn't that big, about 3 inches in diameter... but it seems healthy and is pitchering well in the low humidity just fine... I the most I keep the water level to is about half way up the pot and I water it when the water tray is dry for about a day. Also the drainage is pretty quick, it's growing well in bark and coconut fiber/husk mix. I hope this info helps you out a bit :bigthumpup:

Thanks for all the good info. Would you mind telling me what your day and night time temperatures are?

Last edited:
I would say the day temps are about 75-80 and night temps are about 60-70. I'm not compleatly sure though...

Vicious lookin' peristome, wolf9striker!

Do you keep N. 'Predator' in intermediate conditions?

Back