What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. raff Hybrid Seedlings

Forgive me for forgetting who I got these from...(should've written it down >_<;), but I at least wrote down what they are...

These are approximately 2 month old seedlings of N. rafflesiana. The father plant could be... N. rafflesiana, N. bicalcarata, N. truncata, or N. alata. If you're the one that I got these seeds from, let us know cuz they're doing great!

N raff x unknown seedlings
Sown on 02/20/2007
1st Seedling Spotted on 04/10/2007

First up... a closeup!
Nmixhybridseedlingscloser.jpg

And... a closeup of one with weird (more mature?) growth..
Nmixhybridseedlingweird.jpg

Lastly.. an overview of the whole batch.
Nmixhybridseedlingsjune.jpg
\

I'm so amazed by how simple it is to raise these guys! I just put them under lights and ignore them and they grow fine. I check on them maybe once every 2 weeks. Since they're in bags they don't really require watering either.

You have them in bags? Have you had any problems with stale air? That is great! There are so many!

xvart.

Nope, no problems at all. I guess opening the bags every couple weeks or so kept the air fresh enough.

I think they're a little crowded.. but I got so many seeds and I actually gave half of them to a friend and I STILL had that many. Pretty cool though. After they hit the one year mark I will have to separate them. They should be A LOT bigger then.. and also easier to handle.

I think they're a little crowded.. but I got so many seeds and I actually gave half of them to a friend and I STILL had that many.

It was probably Tropics then. He is notorious for giving tons of seeds!

How close to the lights are they?

xvart.

Yeah I was thinking it might've been him but I wasn't 100% positive.

I'd say they're within 6 inches of the light.. probably about 5 inches away.

Beauty - plants! I got a bunch of neps seedlings sprouting myself recently. Keep it up man!

Lookin' good!

Strangly I had no germination from the seeds of the same offer, could of been from one of the few nights where it dipped into the high 40s/low 50s though. :( :scratch:

I thought it was Pyro that was giving away these?

Yes, Pyro was the one who gave them away. I got a batch myself and mine look just like yours Chrono. I keep mine on my windowsill in a clear Rubbermaid tub covered with plastic wrap. Every day at 8PM I move them to my desk unwrap them and put them under my light until I go to sleep, then I cover them and put them on the window for the next day.

Your germination rate seems like it was higher then mine; either that or I got less seed than you.

That's right, I remember getting them from Pyro. (Though I did get some from Tropics too.)

Joossa, not sure, if I got more or what. Mine are a lot more crowded than they should be though.. so it may look like more?

Good luck with yours as well!

I can't wait to see what they look like when they get mature pitchers...

I got some from tropics, and they look exactly like the ones in the first picture...that's what I did with mine, I put them all in a big container, and now I've got a bunch of growths like yours...You should have a little jungle by next year :)

Yes the raff x ? came from me. I was not super accurate about dividing out seed but everyone should have gotten a slew. My germination rates have been pretty good, upto some of the seeds that staticed to the bag greminating in the condensation that gathered on them. Key seems to be constant heat and humidity.

It has always fascinated me that even when neps are teeeeeny tiiiiiiiiiiny little specks, they have pitchers!! Look at the size of the pitchers compared to the seedling. That's pretty amazing.

Very cool photos. :)

thinking about what you said PAk...if they had the same ratio as they will as adult plants... since its part raff its going to have fairly big leaves... a 1.5 foot leaf would have a 3 ft tall pitcher and with no tendril! :-)) :-)) why is nature so cruel!?
Alex

Back