What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I separate a basal?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    basal
How exactly do I separate a basal from the mother plant?
Will it have roots?
thanks,
Zero

What I did was just cut down the mother plant, and left the basal. The mother plant makes nice cuttings :D , my first cuttings ever. :D Like 9/10 worked except slugs ate the new growth of some.

I put my thumb on the crown with one hand and pull from as much the middle or closer to the base as possible, and either straight out or slightly downward. Sometimes there is a root attached.

I cut it with a very sharpened knife and paying attention in not compressing the basal. If you make it this way, it'll be simpler to let them root

ok, second question.
Do I just plant the basal with no roots in the substrate I plan to grow it in?
sorry for the questions, but a search showed nothing, and I have never done this. so I want to know what to expect when I finally get around to separating some of my neps.
thanks,
Zero

Hi Zero:

The cleanest way to cut a basal is using a razor blade or scalpel. Cut the basal off the mother plant as close as possible from the main stem. Use a general fungicide to spray the site where the incision took place and also spray the cutting with it. Then, plant the cutting on a new mix or use the same pot next to the mother plant. water, feed, and treat the cutting the same as a rooted plant.

Good luck

Gus

What happens when you let it grow on the mother plant? Does it slow both of their growth, or does the mother plant give energy to the basal or what?

In my experience, when I leave the basal on the mother plant it grows very fast and doesn't seem to slow the mother down much if at all.
peace,
Zero

Back