What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Pitcher Plant

Peanut

I like this
Hey guys, I just got a new Pitcher Plant from my grandma yesterday and I want your opinions on how to care for it.

Right now I just repotted 2 of the smalleset uhhh...*base? into a peat/perlite mixture.
It is currently sitting on a bright shadey cabinet out on the balcony in 55% humidity.

Picture065.jpg

Here is one of the pitchers, this is the biggest one.

Pitcher plants are awesome. It looks like it's doing well. :3

Do you know the name of it? is it a lowlander or a highlander?

it doesn't look familiar. I guess we just have to wait and see how the pitcher forms. :) But welcome to CP's. :D

First off, that is a Nepenthes, not a Sarracenia. That should help you find correct care for it. :) I've moved this topic to the correct forum.

I found it in a humid greenhouse so it i guess its a lowlander...i think

Thanks adnedarn :)

is anybody else gonna help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well peanut, if you cant give us a name of the plant, the type or even a picture that had a bigger pitcher we cant tell you much.

It's a Ventrata.

So what do you want us to say? You have ok humidity for a ventrata, the media mix isn't my personal choice but hey, it's just a ventrata, bright shade. I don't know what advice you want? Seems like you've got it down pat to me. Slowly acclimate it to more light, if you want I guess. I grow my plants crispy.

how about a few hours of direct sunlight is that ok? Some say that too much direct sunlight will damage this plant.

Here's what they look like so far:

sorry for the bad pics. I broke my wrist today and it was hard for me
to hold the camera still.

Picture067.jpg

Its in a pot in a terranuim with the bottom filled with 1 inch of water.Distilled of course

Picture068.jpg

Ventrata can take it, if you acclimate it. Sorry about your wrist (that really sucks!) and take it out of the water.

I grow my ventrata in my windowsill. gets a few hours of direct sunlight everyday. definitely
take it out of the water. most neps don't like standing in water. just top water it when needed.
here is my ventrata in the window with low humidity.
ventrata.jpg

ok thanks guy, well that seems easy enough :)

. humidity is ok
. enough water(or maybe a lil too much)
. nice amount of sunlight
check
check
and...check
:D

Oh and is my ventrata suppose to have spikes or "wings" as some people say?
A new pitcher is forming and i can see the little spikes.

well i guess its not a ventrata then because its forming spikes.

younger pitchers on N. x ventrata (like i said on AIM last night...) will have wings. its only the more adult, developed, mature pitchers that dont have them.
Alex

peanut, make sure you heed JLAP's advice and take that thing outta the water. You really should never let a Nep sit in water. Unless you don't like that plant.

Well it's OK for some like N. bicalcarata, but this is not one of them.

but what if you had it in a little tray of water just so the nasty plant water don't get all over the rug?

Back