What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medusa loves moss, pics inside

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I finally got my Medusa to pitcher. I've never had a fussier Nepenthes but looks like she's finally settling into her mossy home and digging her tendrils down into the Sphagnum.

DSC02254.jpg

DSC02255.jpg

DSC02261.jpg

Hi, love your "Medusa". I have a "Medusa" also but has not produced pitcters yet. It is also doing the same thing with tendrils growing into moss/producing plenty of leaves, no pitchers yet. Taking a long time to settle in; am growing in lowland conditions due to the "Belli" influence. Needs higher temps maybe, seems to be doing better. Humidity always greater than 75% and higher at night. By the way, nice looking sphagnum moss. Is it just top dressing or completely planted with? Looks real good.

I gave up on Medusa and traded it and it's cutting for two Sarracenia :).

Very nice though.

Thanks for the compliment on the sphagnum. It's in straight dead LFS with a layer of live LFS on the top. I can't see the point in planting in all live LFS because everything under the top layer is going to die anyway because light can't get to it.

I actually have a whole gallon of sphagnum in the NASC auction right now. Wink Wink.

wow....it looks great buddy! man!! I love that moss! :D

For a wealth of information and experience reports on how to grow - and how NOT to grow - x medusa, check this out.

man! I just can't take my eyes off that plant JLAP, that is just beautiful. THe perfect looking nep. WOW..all the leaves are nice and ordered. Everthing green and a nice budding pitcher. WOW! :D

N. Medusa takes a LONG time to acclimatise. I got mine last April and it only produced its first pitcher this March! Recently, the temperature went up to 90F and RH was about 55%-75%...but here's the second pitcher it produced in mid-air. :-O

medusa.jpg

man! I just can't take my eyes off that plant JLAP, that is just beautiful. THe perfect looking nep. WOW..all the leaves are nice and ordered. Everthing green and a nice budding pitcher. WOW! :D

Lol, I'm glad you didn't notice that dead leaf and the ones with light damage on them. It look a while before it got used to the metal halide.

how many diff mediums did you try it in before getting it to work in the sphag? Sphag isn't really a preferred medium...

It was formerly in 1/1/1 lfs/bark/perlite and since I moved my terrarium to the basement and uncovered it by 50% I have to water more, but my schedule doesn't allow that so everything is now in straight LFS. It has to retain enough moisture to go 5 days without watering, and that's pushing it.

Back