What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n. lowii

rockstarcobain

Sarracenia in another life....
Thanks to JLAP, I am know the proud owner of N. Lowii. Don't I sound excited? I am!! Does anyone know if lowii is a fast grower or if she has any special habits that need attending to?

is lowii a fast grower?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
no.

nice, um.... so that's a ... NO? Thanks. So, how long for a pitcher to develop from first bud growth?

:-O Yeah, N. lowii is slower than death. But it's worth it!

Capslock

well judging from the fact it takes a normal nep about what...5-7 weeks to go from bud to fully developed pitcher, i'd say you're looking at 10 weeks or so. This is all just speculation though...never actually grown the plant. I'm horribly impatient and would probably smash lowii in with my fist

ok, sweet, well, I got nothing but time. I bet I can wait longer than her.

Is it actually a female? That would be sweet.

xvart.

ya know, I honestly don't know, but I just assume they are all female until proven otherwise. Not sure that's wise. :-))

its probably better to assume they're male. I think theres like a 9:1 ratio of male to female (or maybe its 4:1?). Either way, def. more males

I believe it's 7/3.

I wonder why. Too bad there's no hormone we can treat plants with to make them produce more female seed.

That 30% females is only in the wild. In cultivation its much lower, and IIRC, it is 9:1 or 4:2. Its definitely only 10 or 20% females in cultivation.

Oh and that hormone treatment? I'm actually currently working on that.

That 30% females is only in the wild. In cultivation its much lower, and IIRC, it is 9:1 or 4:2. Its definitely only 10 or 20% females in cultivation.

Oh and that hormone treatment? I'm actually currently working on that.

You'll make some bucks if you ever market that! Good luck with that, and I wouldn't mind hearing more about it, unless of course it's confidential at this point!

Oh, and your hahahahaha... is totally messing with my world, lol. Both times I went to post here I was like, "um... where is the box to type in" not realizing it was centered off my screen. lol.

xvart.

Nothing to market really. It'd all be through pre-existing means. The only problem is that I need some sexually mature males. The only plants I have that are sexually mature are females.

The next logical step is transsexual nepenthes.

Nesnipthes, if you will.

Yeah it's goona be awhile mine still hasn't opened it's first pitcher that it came with and the last one I had died of shock from moving it only produced two pitchers, small at that.

Back