What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep forming smaller pitchers :(

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I think the neps are hinting at someting...but I don't understand what...

The ventrata after having made like 7 inch pitchers till now.....has made its first pitcher in 2 months after my move and its move to the new nep enclousure from a window sill. Then it was also supplimented by bright sunlight and gave me the nice red pitchers.

So as u can see..this new pitcher is a bit smaller than that old pitcher that I got the plant with about 9 months ago. The big pitchers started forming in spring.

ventrata.jpg

Now for the bical:

Here is the pitcher that was forming from the plant

I was expecting for it to balloon a lot more before opening. Also its almost similar or seems a bit smaller than the older pitcher on the bical....maybe it should match that size once it finishes forming. However, a new leaf forming is becoming bigger than the older ones.

bical-1.jpg

So,

I don't know what might have triggered this:

- I thought the bical and the new neps I got have a reason if they do this as they were repotted and roots disturbed.
- the ventrata however, wasn't disturbed apart from chaning the light and changing the environment to more humid.

Is light the reason? Or is there anything else like ventilation and stuff like that?/

thanks,

varun

- the ventrata however, wasn't disturbed apart from chaning the light and changing the environment to more humid.

That'd probably be enough considering most plants do not take quick acclimatization easy, and I would imagine Neps would be worse with it than some other CPs :).

hmm......I guess that does make sense. :) Thanks dude. :) BTW....has anyone seen bical pitchers like that?? Do they look like that when they open? They look totally unfinished here.

The neps are porbably still getting used to what you're giving them now. I've had plants make a small pitcher or two, then come back with pretty big ones, so just give it time. I'm gunna let you in on a litte secret here...you know what you should do in regards to EVERY nep problem except rot/insects/it being wayyy too hot for highlandsers? Nothing. Doing nothing solves 99% of problems.

Try to take a pic of the bical thats uhh...less blurry (maybe turn off your humidifier first), and then i'll tell you if i've ever seen one like that :)

sorry dude. those pics are taken with my phone cam which is 0.3 megapixels. the better pic was taken with my friend;s 3 mp phone cam. :(

Back