What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water quality

Ive heard of those but not seen one yet...

couple probs would have to be overcome, first.. the hot water tank is going to be at full house pressure, so the membrane's waste water will have to be pumped up to a pressure higher then that to work, then you will also have to isolate the membrane from this high pressure

however, if their system is set up correctly...

imho go with a basic system, add a permeate pump and 90% shut off valve if you want better then average performance.. really nice system with no electrical pumps, solenoid valves or pressure switches required

remember, parts that arent used cant break down

I would go for the normal basic system that is sold cheaply on ebay.
you prob. don't want to go through the hassle of hooking up a filter to the heater, and as aviator said the pressure in the tank will only cause problems.
the $100 basic unit will work fine for you and I doubt you will notice any difference in your water bill bacause of the small amount of waste water produced.

, and I only use 1.5 gallons every other day or every 3 days
+/- 20 gallons a day...:boogie:

The house's hot water will end up a little saltier than before, but ROs waste more water than they produce and it could be a good idea. Do they need to pump the wastewater into the water heater? And install a storage tank for the wastewater with backflow preventers before the water heater and between the tank and heater? I'm curious how they do the plumbing to actually get the wastewater into the water heater without scaring the water company.

I wonder if this is the same one: "zero waste RO system"

not what I would consider the best way to do it, since water is not very compressible you are not capturing it but shoving water back into the water company's lines... and unless your water meter is designed for reverse flow you are not gaining anything, you are still wasting water, only now you are filling your home pipes with the brine and dumping the fresh water that you have already paid for

im pretty sure the water company would raise he** over this system

plus they have done nothing about the excessive back pressure on the membrane

IMHO in this particular system all they are doing is whizzin on your leg and telling you its raining outside ;)

That system's crazy and I can't believe it meets plumbing codes. As I read the diagram, if someone uses hot water while the RO is operating, they get RO effluent instead of hot water. If they're using cold water, they'll get the hot water being pushed back out the water heater's inlet.

if i was going to design such a system I would use a mixing valve, solenoid valve, pressure switch and a waste water bladder tank,

when the ro unit was being used the waste water would be pumped into its storage tank, then once the system detected a drop in the hot water pressure (someone is using the hot water) the mixing valve would open and allow the waste water to now blend in with the hot water flowing to the faucet (path of least resistance) once the faucet is turned off, the pressure in the hot water lines would climb back up and the pressure switch would turn off the mixing valve till the next time the hot water begins to flow, oh and I would still use the permeate pump to isolate the backpressure from the bladder tank

but even at this the system would still have to dump if no one bathed or did laundry enough LOL

hmmm not a bad ideal really, by the way that is an original ideal and I want royalties if anyone markets it LOL

Av

oops need a hot water line check valve too.... lol

if anyone wants one, hmmmm let's say 500USD and Ill ship it to ya :)
no warranties expressed or implied, and offer not valid in all areas hehehe

Back