What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep seeds from Tropics

Who got some of the last batch of seed Tropics was giving out? It was in April or May...tried looking for the posts but I can't find em.

The reason I'm asking: I can't remember what the exact cross was, and I want to label the pot.

EDIT: was it [Splendiana x [(stenophylla x lowii) x (Rokko x veitchii)]]?

Hey there Ron, I'll check to seeif I labeled mine as to date and type.
Lois

It was N. splendiana x [(stenophylla x lowii) x (rokko x veitchii)]. Had any sprouts, yet?

xvart.

Yeah I just noticed 4 sprouts today. Hopefully I get a ton more...these are gunna be what I experiment on to see if I can turn these babies all female :D.

You guys get sprouts yet?

None yet. I probably won't.

Why wouldn't you?
Stick those bad boys like 3" from a fluorescent and wait. No bag over the pot if its in a terrarium/greenhouse. Foolproof :)

Last count, I had 24 sprouts, at least half have pitchers.

Hey, how wet are you guys keeping these? And should they be considered lowland, or highland?

I just noticed 2 sprouts.....I dropped the whole container of seeds on the floor a couple weeks after sowing them so I didnt think I would get any! 1 has a pitcher and the other doesnt yet. Mine are on live sphagnum. I wondered if they were highlanders or lowlanders myself.
Victoria

I can't grow crap. After a few months of no sprouts and me struggling to keep the pot moist I just gave up. I don't have a humidifier or anything or a gigantic state of the arc greenhouse with multiple functions and chambers so I don't think it's possible for me.

I can't even grow D. capensis from seed.

I can't grow crap. After a few months of no sprouts and me struggling to keep the pot moist I just gave up. I don't have a humidifier or anything or a gigantic state of the arc greenhouse with multiple functions and chambers so I don't think it's possible for me.

I can't even grow D. capensis from seed.

I got some seeds from Tropics too, but not this cross. I didn't have any germination and just left the pot at my windowsill and mostly forgot about it. Until I had a surprise and noticed germination in mid April, of the Nepenthes splendiana x (spathulata x veitchii) :-D
This is how they were in late June (the photos were taken in a hurry, the cam was going to repair, dust in the sensor)

DSC08557.jpg

DSC08553.jpg

Just let them be there and wait ;)

I'm using the following items:

Cut bottoms off distilled water jugs as a tray for the media.
Plastic bags.

I don't have anything yet, but I know there was a post recently about somebody also growing this way and had great results. Also read I_Pereira's post about her "negligence" growing conditions on the window sill. You don't need "gigantic state of teh arc greenhouse with multiple functions and chambers." You just need patience.

xvart.

these are mine from tropics-
seedlings.jpg

my terrarium is massive humidity with tons of circulation... i never have to water my plants :-D
these look like they are gonna be really hairy pitchers =)

If you can't even grow that from seed...we need to have a long, long chat.

OK, so how should we start this off?

Funny, I can't grow D. capensis from seed, yet I can grow Cephalotus in a windowsill with a tattered up humidity dome I got from Wal-Mart and D. falconeri in a pickle jar in the same spot, and another petiolaris outside in full sun in Wisconsin and it still remains dewy and flowering.

Back