What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep xRed Dragon Care???

So i just got a nepenthis red dragon from a local store and am sooo happy :boogie: . This will be my first Nepenthis. I currently have a Leuciophyla and an Oreo., and one venus fly trap. In my terrarium thanks to one of the forum members I also have three sticky plants, and jefforever gave me some plants also.

I just have some question about the care.???
How should I care for it. Does it need a terrarium or can i grow it in the house out of one in a room by some glass doors. Is direct sunlight needed, and what temperatures should it be in. Does it need misting, if so how many times a day.

In advance thankyou for all of the help

where do you live?

red dragon is pretty tough and can be grown on a windowsill provided it gets enough light.

Alex

It does not need a terrarium. Just give it lots of light, but not direct sunlight.

xvart.

I grow a mean thorelii x truncata (same cross, but mine is seed grown :)) in my windowsill (South facing). I hope you have a huge window/sliding glass door. I've had mine a little over a year and the leaves are about 1.5 ft long each

Here is a picture of it and the door it is by... I took it at night but here you go. I think it is big enough lots of indirect sunlight.

Door with plant.. lots of indirect during the day and a little direct.

101_0163.jpg

Plant... It is awsome i love nep's

100_0166.jpg

100_0163.jpg

Hahaha you are soooo funny..... I just ment that it was later in the day so it was darker, not night.
:-))

Last edited:
hes joking, BB...

the look of the pitcher just dosent strike me as red dragon....oh well. it looks like a nice plant though! not suffering from any stress. if it is red dragon. it is going to get big...from the truncata parent.

Alex

Just looking at my plant and it has a third on the way isnt that greeeeat!!! :boogie:

....a third what? Pitcher? Leaf?
Oh and I forgot to tell you yesterday....it looks like there is some wood of the door between the sun and the plant. Move the plant/elevate it a bit so it is right by the window portion only. Neps should be grown in the brightest light possible.

Ok sorry it has a third pitcher about 4mm, and thanks for the help i moved it to the right so it would get more direct light.

Four mm or four cm? If the former, it must be growing in a thimble!
Sorry, j/k.:jester:
It looks kind of like a 'Red Dragon,' certainly not one of the normal TC Neps you come across.
Was it expensive?
I tried to paste Bob Ziemer's photosite, but I could not get it to paste for some reason.

Cheers,

Joe

I dunno...the more I look at it the more it doesn't look like red dragon to me. Red dragon should look more or less exactly like this:

DCP_1750.jpg

I think you maybe just have thorelii x truncata....or perhaps another cross. The pic of the pitchers is too blurry to tell. The leaves point to thorelii x truncata though.

I agree with Phiss and whoever else mentioned that it doesn't really look like a true red dragon. Though it's possible it was in too low light for a while and the pitchers aren't they're true red color.

Time will tell.

And even if it's NOT a red dragon, it still looks cool!

Back