What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

did i mess up

hey, im new to nepenthes..

i got a pot of un-IDed nepenthes at a hardware store. it actually looked good, it had 2 basal stems in a 2.5 inch pot and lots of pitchers, almost no dead ones. I wanted to put them in 2 separate pots.... when i took one out, i think i destroyed a lot of the roots... what do teh plant roots look like? when i took it out, it looked like.... just a tap root with a few straggly hairs attached no longer than half an inch long. Did I just totally rip its roots out?

edit: o yea, it looks like a small ventricosa.

Last edited:
I think it will be fine, as long as you got some roots to the plant. Just as a tip when you bring a plant home first let it get used to it's new growing conditions before repotting. Too much too fast is never a good thing. Your plant might get mad at you, loose a few leaves, pitchers, etc, but I think it should make a good recovery if your growing conditions are okay.

But it sounds like a good deal! 2 plants for the price of one, maybe you'll even be able to trade one.

-Nate

well its been 2 days and nothing seems to have happened.. when do u think i can breathe a sigh of relief

I would say about a week or two...that's how long it took mine to come back, and I did the same thing you did

Sometimes much longer. Patience is a virtue.

xvart.

if it is root damage. it can take months. my ventrata finally decided to grow normally and pitcher...3 months after it got ripped out of its pot from a storm.
Alex

The Neps that I buy always come with root damage since they are shipped with the pot. When I get them I've actually pulled a few out by accident while unpacking them. So far they have all come back.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but even if you did destroy most of the roots, it basically just turns into a cutting. Once that happens, the plant will begin the rooting process over again. It may just take time for it to get to a strong point to continue doing it's thing.

Nate

Neps roots usually heal after they're disturbed. I've never had a problem with it.

Unlike many plants, the strength of a Nep seems to be in the top, not the bottom. So a large Nep with few roots is miles ahead of a small Nep with lots of roots.

hmm, so far nothing is happening, how long would it be before I know if i had damaged it? is it immediate or would signs of damage be something later on down the line

So a large Nep with few roots is miles ahead of a small Nep with lots of roots.

I don't know if I'd say that...The stronger the root system, the stronger the plant. Thats why basals can get to a size that would normally take years in a few weeks.

Back