What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tap water

I know that alot of people use tap water in their neps. I haven't gotten the nerve up to undo the "no tap water for carnivores" conditioning.

However, I was wondering something. If the roots are what aren't designed for minerals in tap water, there shouldn't be a problem with misting the leaves of a CP with tap water, should there?

Any thoughts?

Well if you water it with distiled water. It is possible the tap water can contaminate the distiled water

Even if you mist the plant, once it evaporates the minerals will still be 'on the plant.' Over time they will build up, a drop will roll off and back into the soil loaded with evaporated minerals from previous misting. So the things you are trying to avoid will still be there.

Nate

Ok, but what about the suggestion that neps are more tolerate of harder water?

Neps are more tolerant of hard water, which is why you can water them with water up to 100ppm. If your tap water is above that, don't. Or if its say 200, get one of those 1 gallon sprayes and mix half and a little more than half RO water, so you're under 100pmm

Back