What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test tube nepenthes

I bought a test tube nepenthes and I was wondering if I should keep it indoors, and I don't know how to wean it off the tube.

Do they need sunlight while in the ''test tube''?

In vitro Neps are not too terribly difficult to deal with. Yes it does need light while in the tube but I would be leary of puttin git in sun as the tube will heat up pretty quick and might cook the plant. If you plan to keep it in the tube for long I would put it under fluorescents.

Deflasking is pretty simple. You will need a good sized bowl of warm water (should be comfortable for you to submerge your hands in). Open the tube and gently decant the plant, it is fine if the agar is still attached to it that is why we have the bowl of water :) Drop the plant in the water and gently agitate the agar away from the roots. It is okay if you break a few of the roots but try to leave as many intact as possible. It is important to get all the agar off as any left over will become a breeding ground for fungus. Once you have it all clean you can pot it up. I usually just use my typical Nep mix but I wrap the root ball in LFS and then top dress the pot with live sphag. Now just pop the pot in a large ziplock and stick it in a location with the right temps and good light. After a week or so you can start to remove the bag and within a month it should be acclimated. Or you can go my route and just stick it in place after potting up to sink or swim. I rarely get a sinker but then I have done the deflask procedure a few hundred times so...

I do want to try deflasking sometimes,
but it is very hard to find a place that would sell
me some invitro drosera. Oh well II'll keep looking.

Not too many places sell the flasked material because there is no guarantee the person deflasking will succeed in the transfer and I would bet a lot of those who fail want a refund. It is easier for those with esperience to deflask them and then sell the hardened off plants, hence firms like AgriStarts...

The only reason I can get flasked material is that I just happen to be lucky enough to know someone.

Well I wanna try sometime since I don't have a stupid pressure cooker for sterilizing the baby food jars of media but IF I could get ahold of a few small cheap flasks I would be greatfull.

Back