What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you think these boys are doing?

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I know probably some of you (or all of you) might be getting a bit fed up of my "frequent "hows my rajah" threads. I wanted to resist till the entire leaf opens..but I can't stop after reading on some 4 yr old thread that "When grown in high temps... highlanders like rajah, lowii keep making smaller leaves until they die" :-( .

I am just concerned as you can see the new leaf after a month again seems to start opening when its small. :(

Now my temps are: (according to the guage)

day: 80F
night: without bottles: 65 F or so

at 1 when I put frozen bottles on the top shelf .. it drops considerably. I have been keeping bottles "BESIDE" the ramispina's pot. but as the rajah;s is too wide...I have to keep it above the plant on the shelf on top.

well...ehre are updates:

this pic is from jun 25th or so.

652900472_773fe353b7.jpg

Today: July 26th, 2 min ago

26-07-07_2156.jpg
26-07-07_2154.jpg

ramispina:

25th june:

DSC01483.jpg

TODAY .. right now: that leaf on the left with the pitcher forming since like 3 weeks ago..and a new leaf has finished in front.

26-07-07_2155.jpg

NOTE THAT NEW PITCHER ON THE LEFT. Really excited!! :D

thanks,

varun

the usual sign a pitcher is going to be made is the "hooked" tendril. i can see that on your rajah. you might have a pitcher coming soon :) they all look very good. expecially the growth on your rajah. congrats dude!
Alex

The day my rajah makes a pitcher means its a party day for me. I don't drink...but that day, I will probably get myself a nice special meal. :p Thanks dude. But waht about the leaf being small? :( Will it grow more? I really hope that it does. :(

I feel like I've answered this same exact question at least 4 times and on various forums already. Anyway....

Your day temps are fine. Bring the night temps down or make sure the humidity is at 100% if its going to be 65 in there. Ramispina is really a lot lesspicky than you think it is. If you have concerns about anything, it should be the rajah. You could probably grow ramispina as an intermediate, or even in lowland conditions for a few months at a time and it would be fine. It can and has been done.

Now about that leaf...it might get wider but it won't get longer. I'm pretty sure I've told you before that it is going to take a dog's age to get used to everything, and don't even start worrying until the 3rd leaf comes out really small. If the 3rd leaf come out, and its still small, but the leaves it's made since you've gotten it are getting progressively bigger...again...don't worry about it.

lol! dude... I thought that 1 month should atleast show a small difference in size. :blush: As far as I can notice the new leaf is almost the same size as that last one. Well....alright then...I guess I will keep doing whatever I am doing now and compare after the next leaf opens in probably another month. :blush:

lol! sorry dude.... I just hope this thing makes it well. I guess I 'm just too curious if there is anything bad that I need to change. :poke:

As far as I can notice the new leaf is almost the same size as that last one

Well then it didn't get any smaller now did it? :D
Seriously...I've had lowlanders make a smaller/distorted couple of leaves before. Obviously its surviving, and it gets cold again in what...2-3 months? It will at least pull through until then, and then it should start doing well if it hasn't already.

hmm...I guess. :p Also, when I go back to uni, the enclousure will be on the table near a north facing window almost as big as the enclousure itself. I am guessing the plants should appreciate that natural light.

BTW dude....hows MCAT studying going? I am still annoyed with verbal. :censor:

my fusca sarawak came with a opening leaf. the leaf was fully opened....but elongated another inch and a half and widened another inch over the course of about 2 weeks. so it may get bigger it may not...
Alex

Verbal is the easiest for me, I am getting like 13s on it in the practice tests...but I'm only getting like 9's on my sciences which is odd, especially because of taking like 35 bio classes. I suck REALLY bad at chem though, which is why my scores are awful. I think I'm gunan apply to medschool in Australia..you only need like a 24 on the MCAT instead of a 30 like you do here

vraev you are really scrupulous grower.
I thought your rajah was very happy.
I have the same problem about high temps!
could you show me how to keep your temp lower?
or take a photo for me? thank you. I very appreciate.

my temp:

day: 95 F
night: 85 F

and my big problems:
N.lowii N.talangensis N.mikei

Hmm....I am doing kinda ok on sciences. I just did a practice today and I got a 11 in physics and 10 in bio (disappointed). But I knew I completely forgot all the orgo I reviewed a week ago today and also forgot a lot of bio stuff..even though I didn't really guess much. My verbal is the lowest so far. In practice I have gotten 9's but, even today I am still stuck with a 7 on mocks. :(

Naah man! the fun is the challenge to win here. Dude! Canada is even more picky. lol! Hopefully I can pick it up soon. I knew like I guessed on the last 2 passages as I totally underestimated the time and the passages left :censor:. I know I can do better.

Verbal is the easiest for me, I am getting like 13s on it in the practice tests...but I'm only getting like 9's on my sciences which is odd, especially because of taking like 35 bio classes. I suck REALLY bad at chem though, which is why my scores are awful. I think I'm gunan apply to medschool in Australia..you only need like a 24 on the MCAT instead of a 30 like you do here

When's your test? Mine's August 14 :(. I'm taking another practice on saturday and one on tuesday, so we'll see how I do. I'm SO nervous about the MCAT, and I can not wait for it to be over with.

I think its dumb that Canadians that are going to stay in Canada have to take it (except in Quebec what the hell, right?). Are you planning on coming to the US? We have better nep selection here...

lol dude! Neps are a bit strange. My thinking is: Its better to be picky at the start and try to iron out conditions to reach the "WIDE ZONE" of a nep species's comfort. Then, you can ease off and sit back and let it to its thing. I have a miranda which is growing really well. I was really surprised as I see this one leaf which was BURNT by resting on top of the tube's housing. Its like a complete band of burning. YET...the leaf is still green and it is still making a pitcher. :p lol! These things are unusually very adaptive and tough once they get into the "zone".

okay for cooling:

I use 3 500ml coke bottles with tap water FROZEN solid + 1 ICE PACK. Basically 2 units each for my highlanders. If u see this pic: its my enclousure (a really old pic... 2 months ago)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/554571493_b5c3d42050.jpg

Now, you notice that LEVEL above the rajah on the bottom-most shelf where the mister is?? There ...right there...beside the mister on the right and RIGHT ON TOP of the rajah itself. I place the ice pack first (to avoid crushing my miranda pitchers there :p ) and then a frozen bottle as well. SImilarly, one bottle on the left side of the mister tub and one bottle right near the small 6 inch pot that holds the ramispina. When you do this: you will notice that the air DROPPING from the cold packs above the rajah is INSANELY cold. Its definately like 10C or so. THis is how I cool the rajah.

Basically, everynight, I put the bottles in that arrangement at like 2 AM or so. My lights go off at 12 AM midnight. I leave the 2 hrs for the temps to equalize and drop a bit as the lights go off. Basically, next morning when I wake up at like 8:30 or 9, the bottles are now just water again and the lights would have come on at 7:30 or 8 AM. Basically the water in a way tends to still BUFFER the temps a bit. I ALSO NOTICED that there is a lot of condensation as expected on the bottles in the enclousure. Infact, it pulls in humidity from the air causing humidity to drop in the enclousure to like 70 or so. BUT, the water the condenses and falls on the rajah leaves. My mister also comes on 3 times in this NIGHT PHASE (compared to the 8 times during day time). Basically I then put back these bottles in the freezer again for the next night. YES! I do it EVERY SINGLE DAY as long as i am not going back home for a saturday or so. Its amazing even to me on how much I care about this plant to make a NEW habit just FOR IT.

I don't know if the rajah likes it...but i know that the moss loves it. THe moss in there (live) has more than doubled the amount I had put in there when I started this 2 months ago. :jester:

cheers,

varun

PS:: I know a friend on the OCPS who grows rajahs in a greenhouse where temps can go as high as 100F. But, he does give it reasonable to low 70 or 60F drop at night (I guess this is where canada is good for ultra highlanders ;) )

Try this dude. Just freeze a bottle and put your hand a few inches underneath in the air. Feel physics at work :p : cold air falls. :D :-D

vraev you are really scrupulous grower.
I thought your rajah was very happy.
I have the same problem about high temps!
could you show me how to keep your temp lower?
or take a photo for me? thank you. I very appreciate.

my temp:

day: 95 F
night: 85 F

and my big problems:
N.lowii N.talangensis N.mikei

I'm doing mine on the 16th. For the first time in my life, with the help of a buddy, we decided to make a schedule and work together as slaves of the MCAT :p . I am trying to do as many AAMC mocks as I can.

thanks to your response and exposition. thank you.
You really have patience. (EVERY SINGLE DAY!!) I admires you very much.

In here, We usually use refrigerator or air conditioning to highland neps.
(unfortunate I can't afford to buy.)
so i have try other way to keep temps low.
anyway thanks to your idea. thanks.

lol! dude... I thought that 1 month should atleast show a small difference in size. :blush: As far as I can notice the new leaf is almost the same size as that last one. Well....alright then...I guess I will keep doing whatever I am doing now and compare after the next leaf opens in probably another month. :blush:

A change in 1 month. Not my experience!
My N. rajah made 1 or two smaller leaves that took many months before it did make them after shipping shock.
It took a little over a year before my plant started to make larger leaves then what it came with and to pitcher.
It does grow slow for me, but every new leaf has been bigger and the plant is now forming it's 3rd pitcher.

You'll have better luck watching mountains form than N. raja grow.

xvart.

I guess that means I should get more highlanders to DISTRACT myself. :p lmao! :p phew! alright then... I guess I got to leave this bad boy alone and be content watching the pitchers on my miranda. :(

When's your test?

I think its dumb that Canadians that are going to stay in Canada have to take it (except in Quebec what the hell, right?). Are you planning on coming to the US? We have better nep selection here...

Actually I am writing mine in Buffalo, NY. its a 2 - 3 hr drive from here. The only issue though is that I won't be staying long as I want to get back to my plants. I am leaving on the 14th and will be coming back after my test on the 16th evening. Is there any place in Buffalo to get neps. :p ?? I dont mean the regular ventrata and all...I mean something different like aristolocoides etc :p ;)

I guess that means I should get more highlanders to DISTRACT myself. :p lmao! :p phew! alright then... I guess I got to leave this bad boy alone and be content watching the pitchers on my miranda. :(

It's like watching your retirement investment wax and wane. You need to look at progress over a long period of time instead of checking every minute.

xvart.

Back