What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JLAP, I agree totally.

I do happen to have two boxes of bicalcarata seeds freshly sown. I need some help here...

phissionkorps, what do you consider as high light? I will keep both boxes covered but one will be placed under flourescent light. My light provides 10,000lux which is bright daylight at around 4" beneath the tube. It can be brighter and warmer if I bring it closer

Should I follow Daves instruction for the second box? Or should I just leave it under FL too but block out the light? Someone decide.

Well I give my seeds roughly 12,000 lumens, which is equal to 12,000 candela/sqft. Since lux is equal to candela/sqm, you are going to need to give them roughly 129,166 lux to be equivalent to my conditions (considering humidity/temp is the same). Day temps are always the same for me since I grow everything inside, and the chamber the lights are in operates at a constant 40°C. Night temps vary depending on the season, and can be anywhere from 80 to 50°F.

Experience is great, but its nothing without knowledge of the subject as well.

Oh so now the head of TC for Atlanta Botanical Gardens, who has been doing this sort of thing for probably 20 years, has no "knowledge of the subject"? Good to know. I'll be sure and let him know you said that when I am there this weekend.

Would you let someone operate on you that's never been to medical school but has done it before?

I am sorry, terminal logic flaw, apples to oranges there. Rob has years of experience, Dave has years of experience, My TC person has years of experience. You on the other hand have been here for how long? 16 months? So, the proper logical argument would be:

Would you let someone operate on you who is fresh out of med school and has little practical experience or someone who has been doing it for years and is considered an expert in the type of operation.

No contest here, I am going with the person who has done it longer.

I think you are all also forgetting that just because a way works doesn't mean its the best way

Actually you seem to be the one who has forgotten that. THis post goes up and you immediatly jump on it and say "Nope, sorry. Wrong wrong WRONG!!" Then other people come in and say "Well it seems to work for me." And you say "NO! It does not work!"

There is not a single place in this thread where you actually concede that the technique could work. All you do is blast everyone for thinking it could and point out how the entire world is wrong but you are right.

There's no way I could ever challenge one of "the gurus"! I mean...one of "the gurus" being wrong, about anything, ever? No way! I guess you're right that no one else's personal experience, especially when in opposition to any of theirs, could ever mean anything.

Nopt at all. Anyone can challenge anyone else. But if you don't have a case to back yourself up then throwing a fit is not the answer.

I have challenged many an "expert" in my time. Sometimes I have "won" and sometimes I have "lost" but everytime I came out having learned something because I went in with an open mind. Guess my ego is secure enough that I can admit when I am wrong.

And the flipside is that "experts" (real experts, not self-proclaimed know-it-alls) are more than happy to revise their own views if given a proper argument to.

For example, few would argue if I said that Fernando is the expert in S. American Drosera. I recall once he told Tamlin that Tamlin's proposed method for growing D. graminifolia was going to fail. And a year later when Tamlin posted pics of his huge and blooming plant Fernando flat out said that he had been wrong. And rather than go out of his way to point out how he had trumped Fernando, Tamlin simply said "Thank you."

Another example, and we'll use Rob and Neps since that is more relevant. In his 20000 rajah thread ROb talks about how the plants are planted straight into the clay soil. Now if anyone else had said that, without a doubt the first reply would have been that it was BS. Even I thought that at first and figured that Rob just had a different definition of clay than what I had. But I have looked at the pics closer and am emailing Rob more about it and sure enough that clay is just like the stuff that makes up the majority of the soil here in Atlanta. I still find it hard to believe because we are all told that Neps need well draining soil and if there is one thing clay is not it is well draining. And yet, obviously rajah grow quite well in the stuff. If Rob had made the comment without pics I would have called for proof straight away. And then he would have posted the pics and I would have admitted I was wrong. I would have challenged him, he would have met the challenge and in the end neither of us would be worse off for it. In fact, I would appreciate Rob's expertise more and I would hope Rob would respect me a little more for being willing to question him on the one hand and then willing to admit that he was right on the other.

Guess I'll just go sit in the corner, only listen to 3 people and their religious fans, and make sure no advances whatsoever in the nep world happen, unless its at the hand of those 3 (well technically 4). Wouldn't want to figure something out only to be told I'm wrong about it immediately, especially by people that only believe one person about everything.

If that is the attitude you want to take then go right ahead. It is childish to say the least but you are free to do what you want.

All I'm saying is every time I've personally gotten low or no germination, its been the result of low light.

Really? How do you know that? I mean absolutly positivley 100% know that to be the undenyable fact. Retroactive thought does not make it so. Unless ou had a controlled experiment going then you can not make that assertation as fact.

With others I've talked to with low or no germination, it's been low light and/or low humidity.

And you know that for certain because you were actually there watching everything that happened and you know for a fact that something else did not happen? It is not possible that maybe they just dodn;t have a lot of experience with seed so they did not give them too much water or not enough heat or missed a fungal bloom. I personally suck with growing most things from seed. Must be the poor light even though the seed I have germinated has been right there under the 1000W bulb next to the ones I failed with...

I'm not saying low light absolutely will not ever work, but I can't see it being a preferred method based on greater success of seeds in high light.

I hate to have to tell you this but you are not then end all and be all. Your opinion and experiences do not change the nature of the universe and what actually is and is not. So you can not see the method being a prefered method. That does not change the fact that, for a number of others it does indeed work. And it sure as Hades does not give you the right to come down on those people who say it works for them nor does it give you the right to blast people just because you disagree with them.

Last edited:
Hi peeps,

I now have one box of bicalcarata seeds under bright light and another in low light. I will give details of light intensity and temperature tomorrow. The boxes are covered so I assume humidity as 100%.

Oh so now the head of TC for Atlanta Botanical Gardens
I wasn't referring to him, I think you missed the point.

I am sorry, terminal logic flaw, apples to oranges there.
Yeah, no. That is a perfectly logical argument. Perhaps you should review logic and analogous statements. And how can you be an expert in some type of operation if you've never even been to medical school? That's kind of an oxymoron.

There is not a single place in this thread where you actually concede that the technique could work. All you do is blast everyone for thinking it could and point out how the entire world is wrong but you are right.
There also isn't a place where I said that it absolutely will not work either. I didn't "blast" thegriffin, rockstarcobain, or trent...in fact I "blasted" no one. There are some statements in Dave's guide that are flat out wrong, like the fact it takes months to reach the rosette stage, or that light will cause yellowing. If you want to count that as "blasting" someone go ahead, but that is not correct information.

There is not a single place in this thread where you actually concede that the technique could work
Did you not read? I definitely did say
I'm not saying low light absolutely will not ever work,

Now if anyone else had said that, without a doubt the first reply would have been that it was BS
If you're insinuating that you would've challenged anyone but Rob, that is hilarious. Are you president of Rob Cantley fan club as well? Neps can grow in pretty much anything; wood, broken glass, foam, some metal, anything really. The soil rajah (and a few other species IIRC) grows in naturally is kind of a special case anyway, so I don't see why that would've been so hard to believe.

If that is the attitude you want to take then go right ahead. It is childish to say the least but you are free to do what you want.
I see sarcasm is lost on you.

Really? How do you know that?
When you plant exactly 30 seeds of the same exact cross in two different pots and place them in the same exact humidity and temperature, but one pot is right next to lights, and the other is in a shady corner, and you get germination in the pot that was right next to the lights, but none in the pot that was in shade....well that's pretty conclusive.

I hate to have to tell you this but you are not then end all and be all. Your opinion and experiences do not change the nature of the universe and what actually is and is not.
Yeah no joke, I was never implying that. I do however, find it funny that this is coming from someone as arrogant as yourself. After all, I've never responded to someone disagreeing with me with "I bet I know more than you" ;).
Again, as I said, I haven't "blasted" anyone.

Cindy, did you manage to create the 126,200 lux or 12,000 lumens?

Cindy, did you manage to create the 126,200 lux or 12,000 lumens?

Pyro, got your e-mail, thanks, will answer it later today.

Cindy, you'd better buy a really accurate meter. Earlier PK told us it was 129,166 lux. Now it should be 126,200 lux. The extra 34 lux might make all the difference...

Giving a figure in lumens is meaningless by the way, it's lux we are talking about here, lux in a measure of intensity, lumens is a measure of total output. To give your seedlings the total 12,000 lumens output by a single fluorescent tube you would need to wrap the seedlings around the tube. Not easy...

PK, you are evidently obsessed with academic qualifications, it comes up in thread after thread. You talk knowledgeably about light levels. Perhaps you have a university degree in physics? Or one in engineering? No? As it happens I have university degrees in both disciplines. I'm versed in scientific protocols and statistical analysis but none of that is important for such a fundamental observation. I made the conclusions I have about seed germination based on basic deduction from decades of observation of things like this:

We often germinate Nepenthes seeds in tiered racks. The tray on the top gets literally hundreds of times the light intensity than trays lower down do. They all germinate the same, and grow the same, until they are larger, when light levels do start to matter. This in a simple observation of fact and has nothing to do with academic qualifications or lack of them.

If you are convinced that a certain level of light is needed, then what about the spectral composition? Should Cindy aim for 126,200 lux of daylight? If so should it be filtered? With what? Quoting the light levels you germinate seeds under is completely meaningless without details of the nature of the source. Even telling us it's fluorescent isn't enough. Are the tubes daylight, white, off-white or growlights? How old are the tubes?

I don't know everything about growing Neps, I don't even know most of what there is to know. I do know enough to respect that when someone posts their observations based on experience, then unless they are lying, their observations add to the sum total of the scant knowledge we have. I objected (as did Pyro) to the wrong, wrong WRONG response Dave's guide drew from you. It works for him, there is no need to bash it. He's just trying to help others.

I'm careful not to ever post as fact something I've not tried myself. You'll never find me commenting on, for example, the benefits or dangers of using fertilisers, fungicides or insecticides that I haven't tried. I'll never say that a potting media is good or bad unless I've tried it. The sum total of my experience (and academic knowledge) leads me to draw conclusions. Sometimes I may be wrong, or only partially correct. For example, the light levels required for seed germination - perhaps it's more species dependent than I realise. Maybe it's completely different for N. klossii, I'm not sure about that one yet.

To be a good scientist you need to be prepared to be contradicted and at times corrected. It's beneficial to sometimes be proved wrong, but note the word "proved". No-one knows how many times Dave succeeded with his protocol before writing that guide. To say it's downright wrong requires hard evidence to the contrary. If you have had better success with some other method, then why not nicely say: "I'm not sure this is the best way, I've had good success with ......."

I objected (as did Pyro) to the wrong, wrong WRONG response Dave's guide drew from you. It works for him, there is no need to bash it. He's just trying to help others.
then why not nicely say: "I'm not sure this is the best way, I've had good success with ......."
Point taken. I guess I should've worded my objections different. Well there's always next time ;)

If you are convinced that a certain level of light is needed, then what about the spectral composition? Should Cindy aim for 126,200 lux of daylight? If so should it be filtered? With what? Quoting the light levels you germinate seeds under is completely meaningless without details of the nature of the source. Even telling us it's fluorescent isn't enough. Are the tubes daylight, white, off-white or growlights? How old are the tubes?
I used a converter I found online to convert 12,000 lumens to 126,166 lux. I actually converted it to candela/sqm, which is equal to lux, just as candela/sqft is equal to lumens (according to the website anyway). I use three 4' long dual tube fixtures which house 3 'plant & aquarium' bulbs, 2 'kitchen and bath' bulbs, and 1 'cool white' bulb. 12,000 lumens is a rough estimate; each bulb gives ~1,900. Since lumens are measured from the distance of 1 foot, the pot is usually right next to one of the fixtures, thus getting more than 3,800 lumens, but not more than a foot away from the others.

perhaps it's more species dependent than I realise. Maybe it's completely different for N. klossii, I'm not sure about that one yet.
I do mostly hybrids, but I've had great success w/ mira this way as well. I am currently giving it a go w/ neoguineensis, insignis, and maxima Wamena. Are there seeds of klossii floating around now?

Sorry for any typos I'm in kind of a rush ATM.

Sorry guys, I am really lost in the conversion. I use a light meter to get a reading, not from calculations. My flourescent lights can give me at the brightest 13,000lux. My balcony at the moment with direct sunlight at 5pm measures 67,000lux.

With that, I am already seeing green spots after looking directly at the sun. How do I achieve 120,000+lux?! ???

Last edited:
Something must be wrong with my math. I divided 126,166 lux by 12,000 lumens (Phissions numbers, I think) and got 10.51383333 lux per lumen, then multiplied that by 20,000 lumens (which is the initial output of my light) and it says I have 210,276.6667 lux.

???? Surely something is wrong with my math? I'm using a 250 watt MH. It can't be initially more than twice as bright than the mid day sun, surely. That seems ridiculous. Must be a math.

I wonder, if my initial lumen count is 20K, how many I'm using now after.... let's say 8 months because my memory is squat.

Here's the conversion bulb I use if it matters.
http://www.businesslights.com/ushio-250w-5200k-universal-metal-halide-conversion-lamp-p-1413.html

It's the math, JLAP...sometimes logic doesn't make sense. :-))

phissionkorps, I used to be very vexed over the conversion from lumens to lux so I got fed up and bought myself a light meter. If I am to achieve 120,000 lux, I will need to move up to the mountains and get closer to the sun...

Anyway, back to germination...I will just try and provide as much light as possible using my FL. Putting the seeds out under the sun in a box is not possible because I will end up cooking them. N. bicalcarata seeds are too precious...

Just took readings. :banana2:

Box 1: 10,000lux
Box 2: 100lux

Will update once I have germination.

Science in motion! Mr. Wizard, rest his soul, would be proud!

xvart.

Ooh Cindy! I've just noticed it's bical seed you're using. It's got the lowest viability of any Nepenthes seed I've ever come across. In the wild it falls and germinates if it's in a damp place. It grows in peat swamf forest so the seeds don't have to hang around and wait for rain or anything like that. We had to collect it on 3 separate occasions before we had viable seed for TC. Hope you got it very fresh!

Rob

Thanks, Rob for highlighting that here. I now have a good reason should the experiment fail. PHew! :-))

Seriously, how long would you estimate that the seeds remain viable?

I wasn't referring to him

Explicitly maybe not, but implicitly... that is open to debate

I think you missed the point.

No, I got the point. AFAYC practical knowledge means jack but a fresh pretty piece of paper in a frame means you know more than people who have been doing the practical side of things for longer than you have been alive.

Yeah, no. That is a perfectly logical argument.

Only when misapplied as you have tried to do.

Perhaps you should review logic and analogous statements.

I exhausted the logic courses offered at my college so I think I am pretty brushed up on them thanks.

And how can you be an expert in some type of operation if you've never even been to medical school? That's kind of an oxymoron.

Misapplication. Point of fact, growing plants is worlds away from carving parts out of a living body. And that is why your logic is terminally flawed. You are trying to compare two things as if they were equal when in fact they are not. So to make the argument logical you either have to equalize them (as I did in my reply) or you have to make a different argument. It does not take years of schooling and a fancy degree to grow plants. Anyone can grow plants be they a doctor or a housewife or a cop or a grade school kid or even someone as mentally challenged as a lawyer. And a person who has been growing one type of plant for 20+ years is going to have a lot more practical knowledge than someone who has only grown for 16 months. And because they have that greater practical knowledge they are significantly nore likely to know things based on years and years of their observations than some wet behind the ears armchair expert.

There also isn't a place where I said that it absolutely will not work either. I didn't "blast" thegriffin, rockstarcobain, or trent...in fact I "blasted" no one. There are some statements in Dave's guide that are flat out wrong, like the fact it takes months to reach the rosette stage, or that light will cause yellowing. If you want to count that as "blasting" someone go ahead, but that is not correct information.

Sure point out the people who have not had the "audacity" to stand up to you. You have blasted people and if you really want me to name names we will start with myself and Rob.

Did you not read?

Nope, can not read a lick. Made it 30 years and got a PhD without being able to read. An amazing trick really.

If you're insinuating that you would've challenged anyone but Rob, that is hilarious.

I am not "insinuating" anything. I said flat out I would have challenged Rob as well if he had not posted the pics at the same time he made the post. And the flip side, since I know you are going to try and argue it later anyways, I would not have argued with anyone else if they made the same comment and posted the pics at the same time.

Are you president of Rob Cantley fan club as well?

Oh boy!! There is a fan club?!? And here I thought there was only your "I hate Rob and slam him every chance I get" club...

I respect Rob for what he is. In all the years I have been growing I have talked with Rob perhaps 10 times. If that makes me "president" of his fan club then I gladly accept the title.

Neps can grow in pretty much anything; wood, broken glass, foam, some metal, anything really.

Really? Learn something new every day. Since you say so it must be true and I guess every book to date has been wrong.

I see sarcasm is lost on you.

No more so than it is on you.

When you plant exactly 30 seeds of the same exact cross in two different pots and place them in the same exact humidity and temperature, but one pot is right next to lights, and the other is in a shady corner, and you get germination in the pot that was right next to the lights, but none in the pot that was in shade....well that's pretty conclusive.

Conclusive my left foot. Your value for n is 1 for crying out loud!! You can not even begin to try to claim that that is significant let alone the statistical significance you would need to even try arguing that it is conclusive. You know, for someone who harps on and on and on about "knowledge of the subject" you sure seem to be happy to throw basic principles of actual scientific research out the window when it suits you.

Show me the results of 50 pots under each condition with daily observations and then I will be willing to listen.

I do however, find it funny that this is coming from someone as arrogant as yourself.

Someone as arrogant as myself?!? Now if that is not a case of the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is. Would you like to call me snide, pompus and egotistical as well?

After all, I've never responded to someone disagreeing with me with "I bet I know more than you"

And where exactly did I say that in this thread??

Again, as I said, I haven't "blasted" anyone.

Sure you haven't.

Point taken. I guess I should've worded my objections different.

And it only took 4 pages...

Well there's always next time

Or the time after that... Or the time after that.

You know, I have noted here and elsewhere that you spend an awful lot of time pointing out to people how the internet is really bad about relaying the emotion behind the words and that they should all make more of a point of not taking things so poorly. You might want to give some thought to the idea that maybe the problem is not with everyone else... Maybe consider being a little bit better about what/how you post instead of making it everyone else's job.

Maybe consider being a little bit better about what/how you post instead of making it everyone else's job.
Yeah or people could harden up and not take the INTERNET as a serious place.

The one comment I said you said...different forum, different thread.

While I would continue to debate you about this if I had time, you have the arguing tactics of a 5 year old. Maybe if you had actually addressed anything important instead of nitpicking even insignificant nuance and every single word, then maybe it would be worth it. The only thing your tactics are good for is serving to tire someone out.

Yeah or people could harden up and not take the INTERNET as a serious place.

Or I guess you can make it everyone else's job... ???

Call me names, throw your insults at me, I do not particularly care.

As for the accusation that I never addressed anything important... I answered everything you challenged me with.

You challenged my knowledge of logic as well as my logic argument and I replied.

You challenged my accusation of blasting people and I replied.

You challenged my association with Rob and my view of him and others in general and I replied

You challenged the basic tenent of scientific method and I challenged you on that.

If my answering your questions and countering your challenges is nitpicking then why did ask them and challenge me in the first place? ANd if it tires you out to answer them... I do not see how that is my problem.

I guess I just don't see why it is alright for you to challenge and question me but it is not alright for me to do the same to you.

Last edited:
Is it alright for you or anyone else to do whatever they want...because it's the INTERNET.

Challenging and asking questions is cool, go for it. But theres a difference between doing that and nitpicking every single word for the sake of trying to look like you're doing a great job challenging things, when in reality it's a great waste of time.

You skillfully dodged my question.

I asked why is it alright for you to challenge and question me but it is not alright for me to do the same to you.

I am not trying to look like I am doing a great job challenging. I am replying to the things you put at me. Answering questions that are asked is not nitpicking. Stepping up to challenges is not nitpicking.

So again I ask, why it is okay for you (as in you specifically) to question me and challenge me but it is not okay for me to 1) answer your questions 2) refute your challenges and 3) question and challenge you back?

Back