What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a first for me!

cant believe this popped up, given that this is my alata's first summer outdoors, but it decided to flower! i havent had any of my neps do this for me yet, so i think its kinda sweet!

flowering.jpg

oh, by the way, the picture sucks because it was taken at midnight. dont ask why.

Me neither! My small ventricosa 'red' finally decided to make pitchers haha, congrats! I've seen Nep flower stalks in person at my bosses greenhouse though. I'm going to smell them next time to see if they smell bad lol.

Does it belong to the plant with the visible pitchers? If so thats a ventrata.

it does, yeah. i hadn't payed it much attention since i just picked it up at bachmans for like $14 as an experiment plant (worked out well, eh?) bachmans has it marked as alata tho... shame on them!

congrats on the flower :)! Mine aren't nearly old enough for that...

shame i've given mine recent cuttings...no flowers for a while :-(

very impressive...how big was it when you got it?

have anything to hybridize it with?

have anything to hybridize it with?
For the sake of nep genetics, please don't. I can't think of any good hybrids made with ventrata, and trust me, I know a lot of hybrids. :D

well, it wasn't vining when i got it, but it was somewhat large.

and since this is my only flowering nep atm, i wont be doing any hybridizing.

Awesome when it happens... but what to do with it? My ventrata pulled that, unexpectedly, this past February.... and I don't even understand why.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0008-1.jpg

By the way, It's not Bachman's fault it's marked N. alata.
The DeRoose Nurseries labled it . Originated in Holland, but I believe they have a facility in Florida.

Cheers,

Joe

For the sake of nep genetics, please don't. I can't think of any good hybrids made with ventrata, and trust me, I know a lot of hybrids.

true, true! but just to see if you can...just a thought...

I'm going to disagree and say do it, because there's never enough diversity

Back