What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Hooked" Tendril

Nitecrawler

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior
I was excited that my small ventricosa was producing a leaf with a "hooked" tendril because I have read on here that it could be a sign of a developing pitcher.

Unfortunately, I looked at it this morning and saw that it was gone! Like it had been eaten off!

I have never seen any bugs on the actual leaves before (except maybe the occasional ant).

It looks to be producing another leaf right on top of that one...

I'm baffled...but whatever.

i take it your new to nepenthenes =)

for starters, a hooked tendril is usually the first sign of a new pitcher, you're correct on that. as for it being eaten off... thats just odd. i've never had any problems with bugs or animals on my outdoor nepenthenes.

as for the "new leaf", thats the way nepenthenes grow. as the current leaf unfurls, the new leaf will stand up out of the spine of the old leaf, twist away (usually at about a 110 degree angle) and then open, and this process will repeat until the plant begins to vine, and even then the process doesn't change very much.

out of curiosity, how big is the plant right now, and what kind of conditions is it growing in?

Yeah it's just weird that it disappeared overnight.
They are outdoors under a tree so they get dappled sun.
I am new, but I wasn't asking about how they grow lol.

The day temp is mid 80's
night is mid 50's

Humidity is about 50 usually...
I water them every other day or so.
The plant has a leaf span of 5.5"

I wasn't asking a question with this post per se, merely sharing a strange occurrence.

But thanks for the reply.

kinda small leafspan for an outdoor plant, so the tendril was undoubtedly thin. at that size, you cout almost attribute the loss to wind... or something getting caught on the hook.

Back