What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah galore

Hi,

Long time sonce I posted here :)

On another forum Geoff Mansell was asking about our N. rajah. Here are a few photos. All the plants are from TC from the usual 4 clones. They have been in TC for around 20 years and no mutations (so far). We don't know yet whether they are male or female. Maybe the largest of them will flower soon. They are grown in clay (with a topping of coco-chips simply to stop the clay from splashing up too much).

We literally didn't want to throw them away as we had too many in TC and planted them outdoors as an experiment that sort of, well, grew. There are about 20,000 in total at various sizes from 1" dia upwards. Anyone have any ideas what do do with them :-[ The oldest of them has been out there for about 5 years now.

Some views of one of what we call our "rajah patches". These plants are grown hard with a lot of light. Some insect prey and also Osmocote.

rajah1.jpg

rajah6.jpg

rajah5.jpg

Here are the only plants out of 25,000 from TC that have produced variegated foliage. Why? ??? I have no clue.
variegated.jpg

Another "rajah patch". The largest plants we have are on the left.
rajah8.jpg

pitcher on largest plant
rajah7.jpg

with my paw for scale.
rajah4.jpg

Rob

Very interesting Rob.

When you say "clay" do you mean the red mud stuff that compacts and is pretty much the dominant soil type here in Atlanta or do you mean clay pellets?

Look at all those Rajah!

Love the varigated Rajah though!!! :-O

We literally didn't want to throw them away as we had too many in TC and planted them outdoors as an experiment that sort of, well, grew. There are about 20,000 in total at various sizes from 1" dia upwards. Anyone have any ideas what do do with them :-[ The oldest of them has been out there for about 5 years now.

Well... I can give you my address :grin::jester:

kidding :p

What an awesome jungle that is :grin:

Awe-inspiring! I think it's so cool to see N. rajah growing in the ground like that. And how beautiful those large specimens are. Maybe I missed it in the original post, but how old are the big plants?

Yeah, I could have swore I saw you say the oldest are just five years old. Maybe I read that wrong, or maybe The Magic Window's other side is in Sri Lanka?

Well... you could send less than half to the US and less than half to Europe and probably have most collectors covered with a few thousand to spare. If you do I'd love to be on that list :D Very very nice.

-J.P.

man! Some day.... some day..... some day in my life... I will grow a plant that big. (Hopefully its the one I am growing now...which can grow to that big size). :)

Cool. While I'm not a big fan of N. rajah I can appreciate why people desire them so much; especially when there are 20,000 of them.

xvart.

lol! Rob! You could try growing them in a perimeter around your nursery. ;)

OR

You could give us a small extra rajah as a "complimentary gift".

OR

You could ask your distributor to lower the price. :( :nono: :p

Pyro,

The soil is clay, natural sandy clay. You can see places where after heavy rain it has splashed up onto the leaf. The soil was (and is still regularly) treated with nematicides. Actually, the plants we sell don't come from these patches but from a nursery where they get mollycoddled.

Justlikea pill,

The largest of these plants is around 5 years out of the flask.

You could ask your distributor to lower the price.

PLEASE DO THIS!!!

awsome display Rob! start thinking about hybrids! :D

Next year's auction could get very interesting....

lol! guys.... Don't think we might be getting any of these plants as Rob explained that, the plants sold normally don't come to this patch. SO I am guessing these are probably his own "seed germination", experimentation or maybe display plants. Even....I think I personally wouldn't dare taking one of those big plants without ensuring that i can grow the rajah properly. Thats just me though.

Holy cow--look at all those rajahs!! :0o:

What an awsome display. And what an amazing quandary! What to do with 20,000 rajahs. lol

Those large pitchers are beautiful! (The paw even looks pretty good for a paw...hehe)

Thanks for showing those pics. That's a sight too see. I've always loved the oval leaves on rajahs...very pretty.

That's a sight too see. I've always loved the oval leaves on rajahs...very pretty.

finally! :clap: someone who agrees with me that rajah has really beautiful leaves. :p lol :D :-D

Is it a sin that I like the them more than the pitchers? I have a soft sport for peltation.

Just read this ancient thread again

Hi,
We literally didn't want to throw them away as we had too many in TC and planted them outdoors as an experiment that sort of, well, grew. There are about 20,000 in total at various sizes from 1" dia upwards. Anyone have any ideas what do do with them :-[

I do hope someone was able to help you out Rob. No mean task to face a rajah invasion. :-))

Hopefully Rob Cantley figured out what to do with all of those N. raja plants. They would be enough to completely destroy world-wide demand for the species. Imagine buying one at Lowe's for $9.95.

Back