What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackened tip on new arrival

Hi,
Five inch rooted cutting of N. x Masteriana arrived with blackened growing point. I snipped it off and put some fungicide.
Any other advice? What are the odds?
This is the third one I have ever ordered and the other two arrived with the growth point snapped off(never recovered for me).

Thanks,

Joe

first off, are they all from the same people? if so, id consider ordering from someone else...

Second, how black was it? is there still a growth point? if it's all gone, id say your toast...:-( sorry...

If the growth tip goes black I just snip and go. I've never lost a plant that that has happened to, but I'm sure there is some luck involved. I've snapped off many a growth point before, and my plants have always fully recovered...eventually.

I agree with phission, but i was saying if the entire growth tip was black and dead (rotting), then you dont have a great chance...

I would have sent it back faster than you can say "bad quality"!

I've lost a few growth points in my time, too.

Recovery, I've found, is dependant on WHY the growth point was lost. If it was a pathogen, you may be toast. If it was just shipping stress/physical damage, the plant should make a full recover. As Phis said, eventually.

I woud say black dead and rotting, and well, two differnt places out of three Masteriana.. If I was a superstitious person....
I will see what happens.

Thanks,

Joe

Rest of the leaves turned brown and wilted. Just a stem now. I ownder if the roots were damaged?

Joe

I would just cut off all the roots and infected areas and grow it as a cutting.

It's a two inch stick with two dead nodes, so I do not think that will help, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Joe

Back