What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes stems

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I know that Neps are a "scrambling" plant. If one were to force a branch to grow along the surface, would it sense that and send out roots?

i dont see why not... ive seem pics of green stems sending out aerial roots into the ground.
Alex

I've got this one long stem, with its leaves cut off, due to burning. I'd like to do something constructive with it!

If you leave it alone a node should activate sooner or later.

A node should activate? Meaning it will send out new basal shoots? The reason I ask is I have the same "problem" haha. *not trying to steal your thunder here jimscott*

-J.P.

"Carnivorous Plants of the World" by James and Patricia Pietropaolo has some information on ground layering Neps if I remember right.

That book is written by a poacher. I don't recommend anyone buy it. It also has bad misinformation (not that there's a good kind of misinformation lmao) and even says that wild collecting is OK. Don't buy it, unless you want to support a poacher.

I've got one in the basement somewhere. Parents got it for me when I was six years old :)

Edax, that doesn't necessarily mean a basal will form. A new rosette could form anywhere along the stem.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much common knowledge that the book was written by someone who is less than scrupulous. That being said, the book still has information about groundlayering. A resource is a resource. I didn't say the book was gospel... :)

Jimscott, I don't think that the stem touching the soil surface would initiate roots.
I have recently had good results from fertilization, with some of my plants sending out basals and side shoots.

Thanks JLAP that was what I was trying to refer to. I'm still catching onto basic terminology here haha :oops:

-J.P.

Jimscott, I don't think that the stem touching the soil surface would initiate roots.
I have recently had good results from fertilization, with some of my plants sending out basals and side shoots.

Maybe I'll just go with actuall cuttings.

BTW, I have that book, along with Savage Garden. While he/they did some unscrupulous things, the book itself has a lot of valuable cultivation tips. I appreciate its classification of the plants according to tropical, subtropical, temperate, etc...

To follow up on JLAP, Nepenthes have dormant nodes at the base of each leaf. When you making a cutting, the node becomes active and a new rosette forms while the base of the stem produces roots.

Orchids also have dormant nodes or "buds" as well. Many orchid growers will use keiki paste to "activate" the bud and then propagate their plants that way. From what I understand, keiki paste also works on Nepenthes as well, though I can't speak from personal experience. I've never tried it.

someone experimented with keiki paste on neps and iirc it did work, though only on the brown woody part of the stem. when tried on the green growth it tended to burn the plant badly. not really worth it imo.

Back