What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is that the giant Regia tentacle poking out of the corner of the spect x veitch pic?
Yes.
Any pics of that monster?
Not at this time. There won't be for a very long time. Just recently an animal of some sort broke into the greenhouse and ravaged several very rare plants. Among them was my giant D. regia which was lying flat on the grownd with all the crowns smashed. There were 9 crowns on this plant. It is now bare soil! Also damaged was my large female Nepenthes spectabilis. It was also lying on the ground with a mature vine snapped in half. I should mention that this vine was also carrying a flower spike with 40 seed pods - ALL N. spectabilis x truncata. Yes...I had remade my own version of spectabilis x truncata and lost the entire vine.

Needless to say I have repaired the greenhouse and will hope my plants recover in due time. I was spitting nails that day!

get rid of the giants... but who will be so kind as to take them off your hands? I will do it... I guess... for a price... how bout you pay me 50 bucks and I'll take em.

Philcula, that is a really really sad news to hear your spectabilis vine broke when there a lot of seed pods. :-( I think it is about time traps around your greenhouse cause i remember you have this problem last year too. I hope you plants will bounce back soon.

Jeff

... how bout you pay me 50 bucks and I'll take em.
Shouldn't you be paying me...to take my plants?? I usually just throw them away. That's how vft guy in San Jose got so many of my plants. He raided my throw aways. Now he's my good buddy and gets prime divisions.

Jeff- I did have a similar problem last year with a opposum getting into the greenhouse. The covering on the greenhouse was old and easy to break through. I found a weak spot around the foundation where the plastic wasn't tacked down all the way. Whatever got in...got in through there. I'm sure the plants will be fine. I'm just really bumbed that my seed pods never reached full term. The male truncata used in this cross was a really nice one.

those are just...just...amazing!

i wish my neighbor had trash like yours! :D

i would totally raid your cans!

Really sorry to hear the news Philcula... I loved how big that Regia was!
At least the plants will survive and grow anew, but the loss of Nep seeds like that is rough man.
I hope all those plants make a full recovery for you soon and come back better than before!

Back