What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to separate basal shoots?

I picked this N madagascariensis because there were at least three plants in the pot. I believe that there are actually four and I'm wondering, how big should they be before separation can be attempted?

madagascariensis.jpg
[/IMG]

From the size they appear in the pic, I'd say go for it, separate them. As always, you should be careful with the plants after separation.

Hi Elbasso,
Hi to everyone!
How is your madagascariensis growing now?
Somebody is growing also one?
I really not understood if it is highland clone or more lowland clone since this Nepenthes is present in various altitudes in Madadascar!
If you have some growing tips, please help me.
Since now I have noticed that the plant is in peat moss with lot of quarz and perlite.
The substrate is compact. Until now the plant was outside with day temperatures of 28 and 15 during night.
Now since bad weather is arring and night temperatures of 6 celcius are announced I have decided to move into the terrarium the plant.
Temperatures inside my terrarium are from 33 with neon ON and 25 with Neon OFF. TIpical lowland temperatures. Humidiy is aboout 50% to 75%.
Any experience and tips?

Thank you!

Mr_Aga
Italy

My pot is doing nicely...so far. I have decided to just let them grow for now and not separate them. I have it planted in long fiber sphagnum with perlite and orchid bark and it is sitting in my lowland tank next to a bicalcarata and growing well. The humidity stays high (around 75%).

The ONE clone of madagascariensis is lowland. I don't know why the info that it is highland keeps gong around, because it isn't. Give it typical lowland conditions, good air circulation, and let it get bone dry between waterings = recipe for success. It also likes a more "highlanderish" mix (i.e. more airy) than other lowlanders. Ilbasso has a decent choice of medium, though sphagnum isn't the best choice for the species, and no one has ever discovered a "perfect" mix for the species as of yet. Though it grows in Sphagnum magellanicum in situ, the repeated wetting and drying of Sphagnum at least in "captivity" causes it to break down too quickly. MrAga, I must question your use of quartz...surely it will leach SiO2 into the media?

Isn't all the sand we use quartz? I know we don't use aragonite lol.

PhissionKorps... :
Bye the way....you are against the use of some quarz?
Is quarz not a valid substitute for perlite?
From what I know Quarz does not realease anything....or?

What would from your point of view the best candidate like substrate for this Nepenthes?

Mr_Aga
Italy

I was under the impression that quartz releases something into the soil, which is why it is used in the cultivation of some Mexi pings (correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't people said its necessary for some species?). Perlite is many things, including about 70% SiO2, while quartz is 100% SiO2. If it doesn't release anything into the soil, then use it all you like. I can't say that I'm against it as I've never used it, just being cautious in case it does break down in some way. If you use it in your soil though, especially in decent proportion, and water every other day or so, I would have difficulty believing that (at least over time) it didn't release anything.

What would from your point of view the best candidate like substrate for this Nepenthes?
I have no idea. I was going to experiment with different substrates, but when I went to Germany in June, the person "taking care" of my plants killed mine. If I had another one, I would try a mixture of fir bark/perlite/charcoal/peat (my northiana mix). The reason I would try that is that northiana is also a lowlander that enjoys a more "highland" soil.

PhissionKorps :
I will see what to do.
Now the Nepenthes is in the terrarium at the bottom in order not to take a lot of light.
The only substrate that I know that releases something is vermiculite, but I don't think you were thinking about that.

Ilbasso :
It would be kind if you could post here another post of your Nepenthes in question...after 5 months....so we can all see its progress.Could you?
Here is a photo taken today of my plant!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Italy

madagascariensis1.jpg

madagascariensis2.jpg

Very nice! Mine is much smaller, but there are several plants in the pot and I think all have tiny pitchers on them. The larger pitchers looks like the one in your photo-the lid isn't up all of the way.

I will try to remember to post photos later

red ampullaria basal propagation

I picked this N madagascariensis because there were at least three plants in the pot. I believe that there are actually four and I'm wondering, how big should they be before separation can be attempted?

madagascariensis.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi ibasso,
you can take small basal cuttting as small as the pot on the right.
DSCN1777.jpg

My example on the bigger Basal cutting. Put into rooting on 07.07.2007

DSCN1815.jpg

checking and rooted as at 24.08.2007
DSC_8347a.jpg

DSC_8350a.jpg

old leaves were still crappy.
DSC_8351a.jpg

showing the developing new leaf from 10.9.2007 to 29.9.2007. Old leaves recovered and look fresh and healthy.
asuccessfulrootedbasal.jpg

Now i had another red ampullaria. I will post once it bears pitchers.

Having never removed a basal...are there no roots at all on the shoot? I thought each basal shoot would begin its own roots whilst growing next to the parent. If I were to remove one, it would have to be rooted just like a stem cutting?

there's roots if you uproot the whole thing, and slice the stem in half with a razor blade separating the basal and getting some of the roots for it, and some for the main plant

While clipping dead leaves, a shoot came off with no roots. What are the odds that it'll take? I dipped it in rooting compound and treated it like a cutting.

I got a tc "judith finn" it had a leafspan twice the size of a quarter offshoot,
I removed it and 2 or 3 months later after I removed it and stuck it in lfs & perilie in the same pot now it has a root :D I think what helped is that I kept the plant low to the moist lfs so the plant was nice and humid.

ilbasso, treat it like a normal cutting and you'll probably have good success. In the last 2 years or so I've only lost 1 cutting.

While clipping dead leaves, a shoot came off with no roots. What are the odds that it'll take? I dipped it in rooting compound and treated it like a cutting.

young basal rarely have roots on its own.you will be doing as i had done for the above example.

Back