What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would be a good soil choice for a nepenthes sanguinea and a ventricosa?
I have peat moss and perlite but I have money for other soil ingredients.
My terrarium is fairly large( 3 feet long) and I am thinking about doing this

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/hive_man/carnivores/Large terrarium/mostrecentpics052.jpg

What would be a suitable soil mixture for a capensis a sanguinea a ventricosa?
I would really appreciate if you responded to this topic

For my nepenthes how about placing long fiber sphagnum in the bottom of the pot to prevent soil from falling through the drainage holes, and then mixing peat moss with coconut husk maybe perlite or more sphagnum?

Last edited:
Pure LFS, 1/1 LFS/perlite, 1/1/1 LFS/perlite/bark 1/1 bark/LFS.

i use a mix of pottery chips, peat moss, lava rocks, coconut fiber chips, in a 1/1/1/1 ratio. I generally don't like using perlite or vermiculite because they tend to break down quickly where i live. Sphagnum moss is good too, but again, it doesn't last long where i live. I think the most important thing is to make sure the soil mix filters well, but also retains moisture. Experiment with whatever materials you have and see what works for you.

Perlite tends to break down in Puerto Rico? It's glass!

Well, the expanded perlite that I have used turns into a green mush from all the algae that start growing in it. I don't know if it breaks down chemically, but it sure isn't as airy as when it starts out.

Then your REAL problem is your water. Either it's contaminated with excess nutrients/minerals or you don't flush your media out thoroughly after fertilizing (if you do that).

well, i use tap water so that would explain it, plus my plants are outside so i get tons of crap from birds, lizards, bugs, etc. Either way, the perlite breaks down, and RO is too expensive for me atm.

I have the same problem with my media starting to turn green, and I use destilled water, but as you my plants are located on outdoors, so the media get a lot of microscopic living material that will prosper fast.

Im going to get my RO filter... the tap water here isn't too bad, it gives just a little bit over 107 PPM but still I dont want to take any risk... and if on one year I spend arround $119 on desilled water, the option to get a RO filter for $135 plus S&H will make more easy and confortable to have access to good quality water for drink, plants and maybe an acuarium.

Back