What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes or not?

I was browsing Google images, looking at CP pics, and I happened upon this. The photographer says it'd a CP, but I'm thinking its some type of arum. If it is a carnivore I want one!
carnivorousplant1a.jpg

Here’s a link to more photos: www.sergeyphoto.com/plants/carnivorousplant1.html

Wow. From the information and pics provided by the link, it does look like a CP. If it is I need one too! :-D

I think it looks like an orchid. based on all I have seen so far...I have never ever seen a carnivorous plant like that. If indeed that is one CP, then that is a breakthrough that might be the cornerstone of a new genus and showcase of evolution.

It's some type of Aristolochia. Commonly mistaken for a cp, but it's not.

Cool!!:0o: N.flower?! haha:-))
unfortunate, it's not a CP.:-(
but.. I still want one too!! :-D

That's not an orchid. Like Phission said, it's an Aristolochia.

ce, aristolochia!

very nice!

are these the flowers that trap insects for a few days, get them covered in pollen, then release them...and then re-trap the insects in a new flower, to pollinate it?

Hmm...there are actually many flowers that do that. The amazon water lotus or water lilly does that. It just traps insects in the morning. closes...opens and lets them go next day.

There are also some other flowers which do the same thing.

Some Orchids also cheat insects, make them carry a payload of pollinia by force.

I did some Googling of Aristolochia, and found the species. Its Aristolochia peruviana.

It sounded cooler as a CP. Lol jk. It's still a cool looking plant tho. I wonder if it is mass cultivated.

it is definantly NOT mass cultivated. it is downright rare!

but some other aristolochia aren't as rare, like A. elegens.

Rare in the wild maybe. The website I'm looking at that sells them in 6 inch pots for 16 dollars with free shipping. Another website I saw sold A. peruviana for 10 bucks in 2.5 inch pots with a discount if you buy two.

I double checked the rules and it says no links to other CP vendors. Since this website doesn't cell CP's but has a nice page with Aristolochia for sale (and good pics) I think it's OK. If a mod disagrees with me, please go ahead and delete the URL below.

http://www.georgiavines.com/page8.html?gclid=COOi8ZLi0o4CFQINPAodXVpz9w

Back