What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bushier/branching Nepenthes?

I'm guessing there are multiple growth points in that pot. You can try and "force" more basals in a plant like discussed in this thread. You could also take cuttings and plant the cuttings next to the plant and wait for possible basal shoots to grow when you take the cutting off the original plant; and, the activated nodes on the cutting.

xvart.

Thanks much Xvart. I didn't notice the topic about producing more basals until a little while ago because of the title of the post.

No problem. That one was kind of hidden anyways.

xvart.

Let me put it this way: I had a coccinea that I cut to give to one of my friends that works at a local nursery (that unfortunately doesn't carry neps). I made one cut, 3 nodes from the top, and the plant sprouted 8 new growth points. As per some info given a few time by Agustin Franco (which I totally agree with), if you have more than IIRC 3 or so growth points, eventually they will eaken the main plant, and the main vine will die. Out of the 8 that intially sprouted, I think only 5 are still alive. I gave them the exact same conditions, but thats natty select at work. If you cut and you get more than 3 nodes activated (which I think is pretty rare), I'd "take care" of them pretty shortly thereafter.

Jeff, it also depends on the species/hybrids. N. ventrata produces basals readily without you having to trim back the main vine.

x2 Cindy, I also have noted pot bound plants seem to be more apt to produce basals, perhaps due to induced stress.

From what I've seen, some plants seem to produce shoots after being under bad conditions, possibly in an attempt to rebound. Besides my own Nepenthes, When my friend's banana plant almost died, it came back producing about 5 more shoots.

Back