What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Rokko o.k.

I bought a N. rokko last week, and I tried to get as much info as I could, but I couldn't find much. The lids of the pitchers are shriveling. I water every two days, I keep it in a window that gets 3 hours of bright light in the afternoon. I use a 23 watt compact florescent bulb. The humidity is 60-70%. What am I doing wrong, or is it just shocked from shipment?

My setup
CIMG5287.jpg

This is the worst pitcher.
CIMG5302.jpg

Two of the leaves are turning black to
CIMG5301.jpg

You're not doing anything wrong. It's shock from shipping and from adjusting to lower humidity than whatever it used to be grown in. Houston humidity is high, but you're growing it inside, so it is comparably lower. The pitchers w/ the shriveling lids will probably die within a week but its no big deal

Could I cut off the pitcher and preserve/dry it, or should I just leave it be?

What I usually do is to fill the pitchers with water to retain for a longer period. Unless this plant was originally in the same humidity as your room, it will lose its pitchers anyway due to a change in conditions.

Did it come potted or bareroot? Bareroot would mean that the shipping shock is worse.

Leaves turning yellow then black may just mean that the plant is re-absorbing so of the water and nutrients from older leaves for growth. I notice that when that happens, the plant usually start growing after that. Just keep an eye on the growth tip. If it is firm, the plant's fine. :)

It did come potted. I don't know what humidity it was at, but It was shipped from oragean, and my hygrometer says the humidity in my house is 60-70%.

Well, I guess it is just adjusting to your conditions. N. x rokko is tough, we have it growing here in year round hot temperatures in the high 80s.

Back