What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Developing pitcher lid

Nitecrawler

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior
I'm probably over analyzing this, but I have a developing pitcher on my N. ventricosa (it's inflating) and the lid doesn't seem to be growing with the pitcher body. It is already detached from the future peristome.

I can post pics...if necessary but I was really just curious.

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I'm at UCLA now and I only brought two n. ventricosa, two d. capensis, and a flytrap (which is almost dead because of a light issue I believe). My window is not sunny at all, so I supplement with a compact flourescent in my desk lamp...ha.

Last edited:
Low humidity coupled with shock. Sometimes they form a normal looking pitcher, and sometimes not, though it will always be smaller than if the pitcher had developed normally. Nothing to worry about really...even if you don't up the humidity, it'll adapt eventually.

Is it just an effect used on the photo, or do you comb your hair forwards on the sides hahaha

My hair's long and it does what it wants.

I surely don't comb it to the front.
Crazy kids these days!

hahaha. My sabre is doing that now for no apparent reason. It made totally normal pitchers before, but now I can see the back of the peristome while it's just forming. It's kinda cool actually. There's a veitchii at a local greenhouse that is doing that and it's definitely not humidity deprived. I think it may be from underwatering because I forgot to water my sabre while that pitcher's leaf was just emerging:headwall: :headwall: :headwall:

Hi Nitecrawler, my plants usually produce distorted pitchers after they arrive because I do not keep the humidity as high as I should. Most of the lids tend to look like this. :blush:

vxs_posterrs.jpg

That actually looks pretty cool.

I was under the impression that they wouldn't be functional.

Back