What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello again :)

So now that I've found time to return to my job at my college's greenhouse, I've learned that I was quasi-promoted. Instead of doing regular maintenance and all that jazz... they're paying me to basically play with the plants (displays, propagation, pruning), and they specifically put me in charge of the new carnivores and orchids. Better still, the bio department has some money put aside to order new plants, and they asked me to investigate some more carnivores.

WELL...

Apparently the department ordered some bare-root Neps over the summer (miranda? sanguinea? will take pics next week) and they look AMAZING. At least 4" pitchers on both of them. It's heated and humid in the greenhouse with good air circulation... they're loving it. Given the runaway success of those (and the fact that they were pretty much ignored all summer, and STILL look awesome), I'm hoping to make a lowland Nepenthes display... definitely a rafflesiana (personal favorite), maybe an ampullaria and a bical? Since this is an educational greenhouse, I want to find interesting and varied species (eventually I want to make up an educational flyer for visitors to take with them); since we're a state school and therefore largely broke, I'd also like the varieties to be somewhat cost effective... N. hamata's out of the question ;) We could definitely work with cuttings and bare-root plants though.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Thinking on plants that grow fa$t and will be a good item to show I will go for:

• albomarginata
  • ampullaria (I like the spotted one)
  • rafflesiana
  • bellii and madagascariensis...

yah, no listing CP vendors please...

awesome, thanks :) i honestly can't wait to get a rafflesiana going... they've always been my favorite nep but i just don't have the room for a terrarium right now for one of my own. an ampullaria would be really cool too... i'll definitely keep you guys updated on my progress!

Ok... dont forget to take some pics of the greenhouse, and Im sure maybe after you start with the display some people will be glad to donate some cuts to help.

Back