What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep cuttings

my friend is giving me some cuttings of neps i was wondering if anyone can tell me waht to do and get -cheers :-( ??? :-)) :banana2: :blush: :-D :censor:

depends on the size of the cutting.............i generally place in LFS and place in a 1 or 2 gal ziplock........if the leaves are to long i trim them back.....place them under the lights..........and forget about them for a few months.........

If you don't have a greenhouse or terrarium...or if you're not growing outside and you have high humidity (like 60%+), then you should use a ziplock bag. Otherwise I don't, because it can cause fungus easily, and I feel (though unsubstantiated) when growing under lights, it blocks some light out. I wouldn't trim the leaves as not only is it unnecessary if you use an LFS or peat based media, but cutting them stops production of IAA/IBA by the plant (the hormone that makes roots).

some ppl are to paranoid........make sure the soil is good and damp but not sopping wet and i have NEVER had one mold.........my lil hamata that there are pic floating around this board, i got as a lil tiny, barely rooted basal shoot lived in a 2 gal ziplock for 2 years and never had a trace of mold......completely sealed all the time other than for inspections and pictures......

Back