What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

maybe...

MrFus

Do you like that...
This is a little bit out of topic here but still Im sure many of you have problems with spiders...

I have found on my little green house already 3 big spiders, im not sure if they will represent a real danger, but I have a really bad phobia, some times is embarrassing :blush: ....

what kind of spider repellent you guys use?

I hate spiders too dude.

Ants, bees, giant June-bugs etc. I can take, but spiders? Nope. Not gonna have 'em...

And I know that most are harmless and actually beneficial, but...... Just no way.

It's a phobia thing.........

Both Raid and Blackflag make a "special spider spray" for indoor home use. I think that they're nerve agents.

Very low toxicity, mostly inert materials but DEADLY to arachnids. They lose control of their many creepy legs and often tangle themselves in their own webs. [sinister laugh here]

In fact, most spray will remain active on walls, ceilings, in corners etc. for up to 3 months.

Hope this helps. :)

ive got a toad for spider control............

Home Depot sells an electronic gadget from Black and Decker that you plug into the wall. It emits a sonic pulse that is supposed to annoy spiders and prevent them from wanting to settle and reproduce. (I think it is mainly designed for rodents, but apparently also works on spiders as well.)
I HATE spiders and got one for just about every room in my house. I have noticed a decrease in them--though this may be just because of the weather getting colder. (Incidentally, the package warns you not to use it near pet tarantulas--not sure how many arachnaphobes are concerned about this one....but anyway...

Why kill them ?

Either catch and release them or leave them be !!!

I agree with Joel, leave them alone. Most are harmless and some species end up living in your pitchjers- a neat kinda symbiosis. Besides most are beneficial and eat anoying flies and other insects.
I understand about phobias as I have about rats, but if they leave me alone I don't go out of my way to kill them. Besides when you start using chemicals no matter how supposedly non-toxic: you can still harm the food chain. Just my opinion.

but my toad likes to eat them..............

I think spiders are supercool, once I had a pet wolfspider in a shoebox:-O
why are people so afraid of spiders? You're more likely to be killed by a champaigne cork than a spider (and that's a proven fact). Just leave them alone and they won't bother you.

Well... Im just going to look for something to make them dont go inside... they can live happy OUTSIDE, I really dont want to go inside at 11 pm to check on the plants and get a 2 inch spider on my face on the dark... (almost happend the other day, the spider was holding on the zipper or the door, I open the door and dont see the spider until I was already inside :crap: )

Did you snap that photo?
If you enlarge it, you can see little babies on it's heinie.
Pretty cool.

Joe

Nop... I get this picture from the florida nature website, I will try to get a pic of the ones that I have found on the greenhouse... at less of the dead ones, Im no thinking to get close enought to the live ones...

I used to be terrified of spiders, and I mean, if I saw one, I'd scream. I got over it by repeatidally telling myself how harmless they are and getting as close to them as possible. Corny and cliche, I know, but it worked. Think of them as fuzzy freinds. :-D

Yep... I made a search on the web on natural spider repellent and found various products using citrus peel extract, acording to some of the opinions the products using this ingredient will stop the spiders and some other pest like roaches, fleas, etc to come in (it looks like the citrus fragrance is not on the list of favorites on the insect world).

I just need to spray on the perimeter of the greenhouse and arround the points where cords and hoses go in (this is where I think the spiders get in)...

And I have never see ants inside, so usually I'm the one that "hunts" the ants for my plants from the front yard...

At this point this sound like a relly logic and clean way to stop the spiders to go inside, I will try and see what happend.

Just be glad you don't have centipedes in your kitchen! (like me).

Back