What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Madagascariensis

I just saw this for sale. Would it be a good candidate for a small-ish 30-gal heated (85day-75night) terrerium? I have seen fully mature plants and they do get large, but are generally very delicate thin-stemmed climbers once they are mature. Of course, once mine gets this big, I will move it into a much larger terrarium. I have heard many people say that n. madagascariensis is "hard" and many say it needs highland conditions. The only mature, flowering, vining madagascariensis plants I have seen were in "ultra-lowland" stovehouse conditions alongside 7 foot tall N. bicalcurata trees. I will grow mine in lowland conditions. I plan on growing other small, lowland, terrarium-friendly species such as N. tomoriana and N. belli along with it. Does anyone here have experinece with N. madagascariensis?

Last edited by a moderator:
ARGHHH AGAIN!?!? This is a LOWLAND plant. Good gawd who the hell is spreading this rumor? But uh...I've answered all the questions you just asked about 5 times on this forum...the last time being only 3 or so weeks ago.

wait, so it is a highlander? :D

it would make a great small terrarium candidate.

I recently starting growing this plant and my conditions are high humidity, generally 75 - 80F, moderate light and it seems to be doing well. There does seem to be general consensus that it is difficult for some growers to grow well, which is the reason I am growing it.

I have heard that it is very sensitive to soil nutrient content. The reason you don't see many mature plants in cultivation is due to the fact that the plants rapidly die once their medium breaks down and produces small amounts of nitrogen. If I get one, I will try to repot it once a year.

I highly doubt the nitrogen thing. If anything, these plants seem to be quite resistant to salts and such, as some grow only a fe yards from the ocean in the wild. Lots of mosquitos also use the pitchers to breed in, and of course they're going to get the benefit from spent egg cases, indeveloped larvae, stupid mosquitos that can't get out, etc. The reason carnivory evolved is because of being in a nitrogen poor environment. I'd be very surprized of nitrogen actually killed one (unless it was a ridiculously large amount)

Or it could be because people like you think it's a highland plant.

Oh come on, you set yourself up for that one. I HAD to! Small amounts of nitrogen killing a Nepenthes is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Almost everyone fertilizes these days and if they don't they should!

ARGHHH AGAIN!?!? This is a LOWLAND plant. Good gawd who the hell is spreading this rumor? But uh...I've answered all the questions you just asked about 5 times on this forum...the last time being only 3 or so weeks ago.

Savage Garden had it under highland i think, but thats uh yeah.

Ahah!
What of confusions!
I am growing this nepenthes from 2 months and the plant is doing fine and growing fast.Already 3 traps in only 2 months!
Umidity ranges are 50 to 75 % and temperatures from 25 to 32 celcius.
Terrarium growing with 4 neon of 90 cm and growing distance from neon light source about 45-50 cm.
Bye!

Mr_Aga

You grow under neon lights?

Yes Justlikeapill,
I grow the plant under neon light.
Bye!
Mr_Aga

I'm growing this kind from seed. It's very easy, and obviously lowland.

Wow Jeffoever!
From seed? wow!
You can discover so some new clones!
Try to let live the plants and to propagate the plants wordwide!
This is my Nepenthes Mad. in 40 days of terrarium growing....

madascariensis_40days.jpg

Bye and tell me what you think about!

Mr_Aga
Italy

The plant isn't so slow for the moment,don't you think?
Bye
Mr_Aga

Looks like a rather well grown specimen to me. You don't see too many madagascariensis actually looking good ;)

Nice !
There is a guy who is going to give me a 50 gallon tank;
I know it will outgrow the tank but I think I could do some pruning.

Mr_Aga - your plant is so much larger than mine!! How old is it?

Jefforever,
it was a plant that I bought from an european seller directy of this size!
I don't know its age!
For the moment the plant is not going to give me problems.All is fine.
Bye!
Mr_Aga

Hi all,

Does anyone think that N. Madagascariensis prefers a certain type of compost or soil mix? I am using a mixture of coconut ships and perlite and not sure if it is suited for Madagascariensis while My Albo-marginata and Ampullaria are doing okay in the same mix and in the same environment.

soil

Hi Ding Dang,
hmm....I have the plant only from 3 month, maybe less...but as far I have seen Soil is compact and the plants is growing fine!

Bye!

Mr_Aga

Back