What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Efficient method of pollen collection?

Whats everyone's preferred method of pollen collection? Something quick and/or easy...

though i have no personal experience, i have heard using a q-tip and rolling it on the flower will collect pollen very well. other methods include snipping off the whole flower with ripe pollen and just sending flowers.
Alex

PK- My preferred method of collecting pollen is to tap the flower spike onto a large glass dinner plate and then scrape up the pollen with a razor blade. The pollen can be scooped up and stored however you like. You get lots of pollen this way and can repeat the process over a long period of time. Hope this helps.

Phil

Thanks Phil. My plant isn't producing very much pollen yet though; the top 1/3rd of the spike still has to open. For some reason though, only the middle 1/3rd of the spike has pollen on it. I don't think the bottom 1/3rd ever produced pollen ???

PK- My preferred method of collecting pollen is to tap the flower spike onto a large glass dinner plate and then scrape up the pollen with a razor blade. The pollen can be scooped up and stored however you like. You get lots of pollen this way and can repeat the process over a long period of time. Hope this helps.

Then I usually make lines of the pollen and snort it through a rolled $100 bill..... or my name's not Tony Montana!

Back