What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Hamata Troubleshooting

Fairly recently I got a nepenthes hamata clone from Wistuba. I placed it into my terrarium and hoped for the best. My terrarium tends to get temperatures of 85 (with a drop to 75 at night) and 80% humidity (rising to 100% at night). It's potted in the Sarracenia NW mix of ground coconut fiber, chunks of coconut husk and bark. Receives light for 12 hours a day.

Shortly after arriving to me, the few small pitchers on it turned black, which I took to be just part of transport. Lately though, a few of the other leaves are blackening, and I see some yellowish along the edges of some of the other leaves.

Below are some pictures:

hamata1.jpg

hamata2.jpg

And here are two images of its environment.

sideview.jpg

topview.jpg

Now, reading up, two things I'm edgy about are the intensity of the light and shifts in temperature/humidity. Is my current change in temperature at night possibly hurting it? And re: the intensity of the light, should I try to shield it from the direct light?

Most likely you need a larger temp drop at night. Need to drop temps into the mid to upper 50's for about 8 hours at night. Also N. hamata takes a long time to acclimate to new conditions, sometimes 5 or 6 months in my experience.

Most likely you need a larger temp drop at night. Need to drop temps into the mid to upper 50's for about 8 hours at night.

you do? no one tell my hamata shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well yes elgecko, but as your title attests, your window is magic :)

2 years and the lowest temp mine has seen is maybe 55 or 60......65-70 for nightly lows is more common....80 during the day......growing just fine.......more concerned about humidity than temps.....seems to like rather high humidity compared to some of my other neps though this may also be a function of its small size.....

my temps are about 65-70 during the day, and 55-60 at night, and mine is doing just fine ( except for the breif thrip invasion that set it back a bit, but it is recovering well :) )

Back