What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes talangensis x veitchii

I saw this drool-worthy hybrid for sale and it seems (due to talangensis parentage) that it should be small and slow-growing enough for a large terrarium. I've decided not to use my 50 gallon because it is too narrow. I am looking for a 200 + gallon tank/grow chamber now. The only problem is that it is a highland hybrid (the veitchii parent is highland) and my conditions are borderline for highlands.

Summer day temps: 80-90
Summer night temps: 70-ish

Winter day temps: 70-75
Winter night temps: mid 60's they used to be in the 50's before my parents fixed the furnace:(
This is standard household temp for me(high temp extremes in the 80's + are from built up heat in the tank. I think dorm room conditions at college next year should be similar.

I have grown highland x lowland and highland hybrids(involving a bomb-proof species like tobaica or ventricosa), but I don't know if I can grow this hybrid because both parents are difficult. A couple years ago I lost a N. veitchii highland in the summer and there is no way I would ever try to grow N. talangenis. Hybrid vigor might make this plant grow-able for me. Does anyone have experience with this plant? Is it an all around strong grower? I will be growing my plants in a terrerium in a dorm room next year(still don't know what college yet), so I may have to get a smaller tank. In that case, highland "summer slow-down" might not be so bad!

Should be fine. 70s isn't too bad in the short term if your humidity is low. If you have high humidity, the plant should do well for you.

Crap.
I saw the thermostat settings and the minimum night temp (even in the winter) is 70f. I think I will have to use the patented "2liter bottle of frozen water" trick while the plant is still small. I talked to the guy selling them, apparently the plants in stock are tiny and aren't exactly speed demons (both parents are notoriously slow). I have a 50 gallon tank that I think I could use exclusively for this nepenthes so that I can experiment with cheap/crude methods of cooling. I am definitely getting this plant. I saw a pic and it is just :drool:

It has a little bit of lowland blood in it (talangensis x (highland veitchii x lowland veithcii), so even if it does not thrive in my conditions, It should do ok until I find a nice cool place for it.

Back