What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upper and lower pitchers? Female and male?

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I have been reading around but, I am confused about the uppers and is it just the shape of the pitcher or where it is located? Also can someone explan the male and female plant, is it dependant on age or what? Just wondering as I have no plants of this age yet.

I have been reading around but, I am confused about the uppers and is it just the shape of the pitcher or where it is located?

Upper pitchers are shaped differently, and appear on the upper part of the Nepenthes vine. As most Nepenthes vine the pitchers start to change shape and color. These are intermediates and will eventually be uppers.

Also can someone explan the male and female plant, is it dependant on age or what? Just wondering as I have no plants of this age yet.

Nepenthes plants are either male or female. When your plant flowers it will either have male flowers (produce pollen) or female flowers (receive pollen). In order to make Nepenthes seed you need both a male and female flower. There are many factors for Nepenthes to flower. Someone with more experience with flowering can explain the wide gambit of possible factors to induce flowering.

xvart.

Last edited:
the pitchers start to change shape and color
meaning each successive pitcher changes color from the last one, not that a single pitcher changes from a lower to an upper. Just to clarify :)

meaning each successive pitcher changes color from the last one, not that a single pitcher changes from a lower to an upper. Just to clarify :)

Yes, thank you for that addition.

xvart.

Unfortunately Nepenthes, unlike some plants, are not protandrous depending on age. They are genetically coded to be male or female throughout their lives. I don't want to say flowering is dependant on age, but rather the plant has to be of a certain age (varies between species), and then a bunch of other things have to be in order (or out of order....in the right way), and then you might see a flower ;)

ok thanks for the help.

Unfortunately Nepenthes, unlike some plants, are not protandrous depending on age. They are genetically coded to be male or female throughout their lives. I don't want to say flowering is dependant on age, but rather the plant has to be of a certain age (varies between species), and then a bunch of other things have to be in order (or out of order....in the right way), and then you might see a flower ;)

I llike the explanation:grin:

Back