What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't nepenthes get common names?

DrWurm

Californian in DC
seems kinda unfair to them.

Some do

The common name, "Monkey Cups" quickly comes to mind and I'm sure there are more. Besides, common names are basically junk outside of music and poetry. Even the binomial names for many plants, CP included, are not even as accurate as the names we humans use for ourselves and each other. I certainly wouldn't want to go around calling all motorized vehicles, "horseless carriages". Though, if appropriate, I would use the binomial and mention common names that may be synonymous, if it would be helpful.

Fanged pitcher plant, tropical pitcher plant. They are mostly general but some aren't.

winged pitchure plant, :)
I think if all plants had common names it would get confusing fast.
look at all the types of orchids.
nepenthes cultivars can have a common name. Like 'Sabre', 'Black dragon', 'Jungle Bells','Predator', 'Marbled Dragon' to name a few

After having 2 hobbies - tropical fish and now CP's and seeing multiple common snames for the same species, I have become annoyed with those common names. Try ordering something by its common name. It will invariably become confused. The binomial nomenclature is the best way to go... and even then it can get confusing.. especially when the powers that be decide to re-name them.

everyone is right. the confusion would be overwhelming. i actually refuse to use the common names...unless im talking to people like my family or my friends about my plants.

Alex

Things end up with common names when they're common. Barely anyone is even aware of the genus, let alone the species, so...

Things end up with common names when they're common. Barely anyone is even aware of the genus, let alone the species, so...

It is better if they are rare, because then our collections are still cool.

Back