What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish emulsion question

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I bought some Alaskan brand fish emulsion today. Gonna try this stuff over Terracycle since that doesn't last long. I mixed up 1 tsp. in a 2 liter bottle and there's a decent amount of sediment at the bottom. Should I siphon off this sediment, as all of the nutrients are water soluble anyway (that I'm aware of)? It looks a bit... greasy. I wonder if this would cut down on the smell, too. I fertilize the pitchers directly, if that matters.

Wow! I guess no one knows! Well I decanted the fertilizer water and threw away the (surprisingly large) amount of sediment. It didn't do anything for the smell, but if it's useless I feel better about it.

I have the neptune's harvest stuff and there is no sediment.
I would think that the sediment would be broken down by the digestive juices in the pitchures.

no, I think the dirt is just to get the right microbes in the water

The sediment shouldn't really matter. What's going to matter more is the fact that your plant area is going to stink like hell. :)

If you dilute the fish emulsion 4x the recommended dose it doesnt smell so bad...

MY hydroponics nutrient has emulsified fish,
I foliar fed some neps weil nothing but growth :D
Weird enough the nutrient smells minty good for it contains sea bird guano and other crap :jester:

I have used neptunes harvest also, and have noticed no smell. If I stick my nose right into the bottle, it smells, but nothing fishy. Also, no sediment that I've noticed either.

If you dilute the fish emulsion 4x the recommended dose it doesnt smell so bad...

If I do that, I'd just have to fertilize twice as much.

Why not if it doesnt smell as bad through the course of the week? :p

For a big nep. all you have to do is put the needed amount thourout the pitchers.

Sigh.... well I had a nice two liter bottle that was fine... now it's all gross. Well, more gross than it was before I should say :) Some sort of slime in there. Smells worse than before, I think. Is it OK to use or should I make it in quantities for a half cup at a time from now on?

Part of me says make it fresh.... another part of me says how bad can it be? It would have done the same thing in a Nepenthes pitcher anyway.

OMG, I am pretty sure he is right! :poke:
Just kidding, PK.
I grow everything I have in tanks, and I am sure I do not have anything as large as your area, but there is no way I would even think of doing fish emulsion. It would blow me out of my shoes, lol.
Actually I would not ferilize at all at this time as I actually water from below(like the tray method) by just pouring water in the tanks. Been doing this for five years with no problem, but usually the bottom is dry in a week.
Anyways, back on course, using that watering method, I am sure I would jhave a serious algae problem.

Cheers,

Joe
The sediment shouldn't really matter. What's going to matter more is the fact that your plant area is going to stink like hell. :)

Just an update in case anyone else is ever in my situation and never got a real answer lol. I've been using it and it's caused no problems at all, but I die a little inside every time I open the bottle.

The odor goes away after a day, I think.

It must vary by brand or something. I use the neptune's brand, and there is no noticeable smell from use. ???

On a related note, do you think a seaweed/fish emulsion blend would work for orchids also? I'm out of orchid fert, and was thinking of just using this stuff on my orchids instead. I'm not sure if the NPK is high enough, but this organic brand has nearly negligible amounts of salts in it. Maybe I'll just try it on one plant and see how it goes.

Weekly weakly for Orchids is my motto. I imagine it would be fine. If it's like the Alaskan brand I use, and there's a lot of sediment, it may "gum up" the media.

Just a FYI, Neptune's Harvest is not a fish emulsion product.

From the website:
Unlike fish emulsions, Neptune's Harvest retains the fish proteins and oils and has no unpleasant odor.

nightsky, I've used Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed blend on the orchids I'm stuck caring for and they've been fine. They seem to enjoy it quite a bit(turned a much healthier green and flower more often). I always dilute it to half the recommended dose for houseplants, but the houseplant dosage might be alright as well.

Just a FYI, Neptune's Harvest is not a fish emulsion product.

From the website:

nightsky, I've used Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed blend on the orchids I'm stuck caring for and they've been fine. They seem to enjoy it quite a bit(turned a much healthier green and flower more often). I always dilute it to half the recommended dose for houseplants, but the houseplant dosage might be alright as well.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll go ahead and see how mine like it as well then.

Back