Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no effect

Well it seems the 3 in 1 has had no effect on these little silvery bugs.

I think ill just have to completely repot. which isnt too big of a deal, i just some higher quality LFS.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Describe these little silvery bugs. Fungus gnat adults are typically blackish with wings. The larvae are legless and are whiteish/clear/silverish (mostly clear) - tiny maggots.

The Garden Safe 3 in 1 (Neem Oil) will most likely not kill the fungus gnat larvae. The life cycle of fungus gnats is about 14 days and you can have multiple generations at different stages. So treatment should be over at least 28 days.

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis is specified for control of fungus gnats. You can buy BTi in granular form from Bayer Advanced or pellet/floaters known as Mosquito Dunks/Bits. I use the Dunks by floating a chunk in my water tray or soaking a chunk in a container of water overnight and pour some of the bacteria infused water into my pots not in communal trays. I treat all my pots at the same time. Since BTi is only effective against the larvae (it has to be eaten by the larvae) if there is an active infestation I'll repeat the infusion every 3 or 4 days for two weeks. After that I'll give a booster infusion maybe once a month. My indoor plants have been fungus gnat free since I treated them in June for a massive infestation.

If you knock off the adults with the 3 and 1 and the larvae with BTi you can clear up the infestation a lot sooner. Be sure to treat all your plants.

Repotting will probably just mean you won't notice the reinfestation for a few weeks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks...

Thank you for that post!

I think i will try a combination of all three.

Get some of this bacteria cultured possibly in a spray bottle. Repot the plants, and completely dispose of the old potting material.

Clean the bots with boiling water just in case. Then with the plants I will repot into a better quality Sphagnum. Mine was horrible to begin with.

Then ill begin a treatment of this bacteria over the course of a month or longer to try and neutralize the problem. And if i see any adults, ill zap them with the 3 in 1.

Currently my truncata is growing well even with the pests. Got a new pitcher growing. A tad slow but nice and hardy! Ill try to post a pic.

My N. sanguinea and N. clipeata x eymae, along with a ventricosa will be repotted and moved to a large vivarium.

~PiG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another attempt

Well sorry to revive an old post, but i just picked up some Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis today. So fingers crossed and guns blazing, and time to exterminate these little .

~Pig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123