What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Growth Points

I believe the new leaves come from the top of the plant but my friend broke off his top leaf accidentally. How long will it take for this plant to rebound and produce new leaves with pitchers?

If im wrong, how and where does the N. Sanguria produce new leaves and pitchers?

N. sanguinea ;)

they come from the top. your friends plant will probably halt growth. sanguinea is a tough plant though and it will probably make a basal shoot or a stem offshoot. itll be ok. how big is it?
Alex

its pretty big, we got it from fly trap shop

so about how long will it take to recover and produce an offshoot?

I specifically remember answering this question before. Did you use the search feature?

It will take approximately the same amount of time it would have taken for the broken leaf to grow and the next one under it to start developing, had nothing ever happened. This is different for everyone because we all have different conditions. If you broke off the meristem, a node should activate in a couple of weeks.

you say the top leaf... did you remove the VERY NEWEST growth? In other words, is the top of the plant a stump, or a growing point?

Its a stump, not a growing point, nothing has come out of the stump in over a week

Well then nothing is going to come out of the stump. Just wait a bit and it will throw out a basal or another node will activate.

Yeah thats what i thought, how long do you guys think it will take for it to produce a basal or another node?

could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Probably take a month or two? I'm really bad at estimating time...

Haha thats cool, dont worry about it

I'm just wondering since my friend and I both got our Neps at the same time so Im pretty clueless

at least my nep is doing good :)

Thanks for all your help

1 question, if my friend were to take a cutting, would that restimulate the apical meristem growth point and then would that cutting be able to grow?

If you take a cutting, it would grow roots, and another node would activate, which would create another apical meristem. The original growth point is gone, so the plant will only continue to grow through an activated node or a basal

I was also wondering how long it takes for a pitcher plant to produce a new pitcher, growth seems so slow on all my pitchers

also, how long do they last for?

Back