What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

recommendations...

MrFus

Do you like that...
I'm looking to buy maybe one or two books about growing carnivorous plants (will be excelent to get one aimed to nepenthes more than general CP growing), but as all on the life, there are many options and each one say to be the most complete source of information and reference on CP.

Wich ones you guys will recommend as good options to get?

Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato will be one that is recommended highly here.

Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry Rice is another one that gets mentioned a lot.

While there is no "one book to rule them all," each of the two texts mentions have their strong points. From personal experience, reading those two in tandem will give you a lot of good information about cultivating carnivorous plants and also a lot about habitats and natural growing conditions.

xvart.

I just picked up two books off of Ebay that I was really impressed with:

1) A Guide to the Pitcher Plants of Peninsular Malaysia
2) A Guide to the Pitcher Platns of Sabah

Both are by Charles Clarke. There's not a lot of cultivation information in them, but there is a lot of information about each species and natural hybrids for the Nepenthes in these areas.

Dr. Rice's "Growing Carnivorous Plants" and Peter D'Amato's "The Savage Garden" are both great books.

The author is quite criticzable for some of his actions, but I find Carnivorous Plants Of The World, by Pietrapaolo, to be very informative, having a more textbook feel. There is an excellent decription of how to air layer Neps.

Savage garden is horticultural gospel. Don't believe everything Dr. Rice says in Growing Carnivorous Plants about windowsill growing...
But both are excellent!

Savage garden is horticultural gospel. Don't believe everything Dr. Rice says in Growing Carnivorous Plants about windowsill growing...
But both are excellent!

Now I'm curious, what does he say about windowsill growing?

I break the rules,
I grow(in the summer) my urtics in full sun including sandersonii and other terrestrials..
Blah windowsills are not for the experts :D
I grow things outside in the summer and in windowssill most of the year.
All year in hawaii.......

ok, at this point Savage Garden will be on first place follow by Growing Carnivorous Plants and Carnivorous Plants Of The World...

any other books? or diferent order for the options?

NO! Don't buy that book unless you want to support an infamous poacher. Not only that, but it's an outdated book anyway. Who'd want to put a penny in that man's soiled pocket?

I will GIVE you my old (about 12 years old... VERY used lmao) copy if you promise not to buy a new one! Got it when I was six.

so Savage Garden is a big NO NO...

That is my main concern looking for a book, even if is a new edition that dont ensure the content has been updated and corrected, some autors and publishing houses are just happy when the book go out to the shelf$ and don't care no more to update.

WHOOPS! I should have been more specific! The Savage Garden is great, and Peter D'amato is NOT a poacher. He's a great guy. Carnivorous Plants of the World is a big No No and the man that wrote that isn't so great....

The Savage Garden = good
Carnivorous Plants of the World = bad

jijiji...

Well then we give back the first place to Mr Peter D'amato...

and a big NO NO to the infamous poacher Dr. Rice!!!!

Wait! We are still mistaken here, lol. Carnivorous Plants of the World is written by by James and Patricia Pietropaolo, not Barry Rice. You can see some comments about the "ethics" of the authors in the Amazon reviews in that link. It's easy to get confused as the many carnivorous plant books have uncreative titles.

Barry is most definitely not a poacher.

xvart.

oooohhh...

We are on the classic situation of "100 same name books" confusion

Ok, to go forward on this situation let list the autors...

Peter D'amato = GOOD
James Pietropaolo and Patricia Pietropaolo = GOOD

Dr. Barry Rice = ? , what is the problem with this autor?

Go back and read more carefully :) Barry Rice and Peter D'amato are great men with great books.

oohhh...

Ok, then I think I have my wish list ready for the holidays!

Yeah, I'll agree with JLAP on this one... Peter's book is great and he's a really nice guy... I had a chance to visit his place while I was out in Sebastopol and even though he was obviously very busy he took time out to chat with my partner and I and answer lots of questions about plants and what was in the surrounding area...

Let us try this, then:

Peter D'amato = GOOD
James Pietropaolo and Patricia Pietropaolo = DATED MATERIAL AND QUESTIONABLE COLLECTION HABITS
Dr. Barry Rice = GOOD

xvart.

Back