What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mikei - What's wrong?

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I've had this plant for going on 5 months now. It was in great shape when I got it - healthy, 3 large pitchers. It went through a real shock after receiving it. In fact, it's never recovered, and is actually gradually getting worse. I'm stumped, as all my other neps, in the same conditions, are doing fine. It's leaves are getting smaller, it's growing exceedingly slow, ie 1 leaf per 6 weeks, and now they are forming deformed and the leaves are getting purplish spots and pits in them. Also, the new leaves are curling under as you can see. So - here are some pics. I used a closeup macro shot to see if it picked up anything I couldn't see, and it did. There are little dots on the new growth, I tried my best to enlarge them, but still couldn't tell what they are. I couldn't see anything moving.

After searching around, I'm suspecting mites. The soil mix is 1/3 orchid bard, 1/3 coco husk, 1/3 peat. I let it dry between watering. Humidity is normally around 50%, and it gets 4 hours direct sun per day, another 3 indirect, and then 4 more hours of flourescent. THere is a ramispina in the same pot next to this plant which is doing fine, and I've read that mites can be invasive so I'm really worried now. Help!

Mikei1.jpg

Mikei2.jpg

Mikei3-1.jpg

oh lordy. that looks like spider mites!! treat with a good miticide and youll be ok. use it as instucted because the mites can develop a resistance.
Alex

thats terrifying... good luck with that.. let us know what happens

try submerging your mikeii in water for ~3 days...does wonders for me without all the worry of pesticides...

eep! spider mites! **hides**
submerge a nep? hmm
miticide is easier i think.
plus, you dont have to worry about it rotting >_<

AHHHHHHHH! The horror! Dunk that motha!

xvart.

unless its been done with highlanders before....i would suggest against drowning it for the fear of root rot. the eggs can lay dormant for a while if need be also. keep with the systemic miticide.
Alex

Well crap. Sounds like my worst fear has come true. So far, none of the other plants show any signs of mites - hopefully I can isolate it in time.

On a mostly unrelated note, I just now read your reply in your intro. The part of the woodlands I'm in when I'm home (which is...right now actually lol) is sort of considered Spring. If you put Spring on an envelope, it still gets to the same place in the same amount of time. I'm in south woodlandsish....grogan's point if you know the area.

Anyway, mikei gives me problems too. It seems to be especially susceptible to spider mites. What got to mine is the heat. It's still alive but struggling I think. I kept trying to trade it for a wamer grower, but apparently, no one wanted it...so its being slow on my window

Certainly is spider mites. Ahhh yes, I've had loads of experiance with those from many years ago. I'd recomend Neem oil if it doesn't hurt Neps, sold under the brand name of Einstein Oil. Have any of the senior members used neem oil? Perhaps bugweed or Andrew will see this and post. Anyway, if it is safe for neps, the trick is to insure contact with the mite. Best way to do that is to dunk the plant into the neem solution. But since it doesn't effect the eggs, repeat the dunking every 3 days for 5 dunks(12 days). It's been about 15 years since I had to wage war on spired mites, but if my memory is still working,...ah the heck with memory, that what Google is for. Here is a good link on the life cycle, http://ippc2.orst.edu/mint/twospotcycle.htm.
Hope this helps and do be certain Einstein Oil won't hurt your Nep.

im still with xvart!

Dunk that motha!

IF it makes you feel better, add some miticide. But dunking really does work...you can always change waterlogged media!

Back