What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, i have just registered although i have been reading posts for quite some time. Two weeks ago, i noticed my pepper plant had been infested/devastated by some sort of pest, there was also i spike in the gnat(little tiny flying specks, butterwort took care of them:-)) ) population on my windowsill, i sprayed with insecticides but from the looks of it, it did absolutely nothing and it might have spread to my miranda though i am uncertain if it was the same pest,
nep_pest1.jpg

nep_pest2.jpg

and to a much lesser extent, my ventrata (i think they like the more chewable leaves on the miranda).
nep_pest4.jpg

How do i get rid of them, they are growing at an exponential rate. I cannot submerge the plants because i don't have a large enough container. I assume i have to use a pesticide but it has be be available from home depot or unpreferably lowes because it'll long to long and i can't.

its late and I know you may be looking for an answer right now... I'm not experienced enough with pest control on neps but I've seen a TON of threads on it recently... try using the search option to find a thread that matches yours... the option is found on your topmost green bar on the page... good luck. if not someone later tonight or tomorrow will appropriately answer

you might tell us what insecticide you've already used that you said had no effect

i use a rose bush and shrub insecticide for aphids on my pepper plant, can't remember the name, i dare not use it on my nepenthes, and i doubt it worked my pepper plant

EDIT: alright, i did a bit of searching and from what i could find, i assume the pests are thrips. What would be the best pesticide? Would sevin work? what other pesticides would work?

Last edited:
nope! not pests. they are nectar glands. the black is just a clogged gland...like a black head :)
Alex

thanks for starting this thread its_a_friday. I have the same thing going on with my maxima. If it is a pest, it's probably thrip. But it's probably not a pest so....

there are nectar glands on the leave o_O? Tell me more <_<

Not just the leaves but the petioles, stems, and sepals can all have nectar glands on them. These are so prominent that Nepenthes glandulifera gets it's name from these.

Hint: Touch the spots and see if they are sticky.

What happens if the glands have some kind of white, non-sticky stuff in it?

i checked over a dozen spots, not sticky at all

Well, it turns out it's thrips. They're destroying the leaves of my miranda and rafflesiana. Trying to exterminate by them spraying sevin on the leaves.

Well, it turns out it's thrips. They're destroying the leaves of my miranda and rafflesiana. Trying to exterminate by them spraying sevin on the leaves.

Grab a cotton ball and put the sevin on it and wipe the leaves. That way, you can be assured you covered the entire area.

xvart.

thanks:) Couple hours after i applied it little white things appeared on the stem. Hopefully they're dead or dying.

Back