What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too many side shoots?

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
I got this Nepenthes a few months ago as a 3 foot vine that I chopped into bits. I think it's a ventricosa but anyway. I am concerned that it has gotten a little carried away making side shoots.

2132071328_8c504d5e4b.jpg

There are a total of nine activated nodes and over half of them are making full fledged leaves. So referring back to my title, do you think I need to trim off some side shoots and if so when, and how many?

Thanks,
-J.P.

woah its looks freaky dude
jealous

Let them grow then root the sideshoots(leave 1) after they have grown for a few weeks thats what i'd do...... I wish mine would do that I cold try giving a nepenhtes of my BAP hormone that causes things like that

I know nothing about growing Neps, but if it doesn't hurt it, I think a nine vine plant would look very cool.

Thats one of the coolest looking nep cuttings I have seen:)
I would leave it as is.
Should be very bushy in a few monthes.
peace,
Zero

I wish mine would do that I cold try giving a nepenhtes of my BAP hormone that causes things like that
You know that isn't soluble in water right? PM me for a recipe if you don't have NaOH to dissolve it in. I've worked a little frontier chemistry to get it in solution lol.

Give it more light and fertilise lightly. That would help the plant get enough food and nutrients to support the growth of so many lateral shoots. :)

Thanks Cindy! Without your little trick this guy would still be a nasty old vining monstrosity.

I'll give it a foliar espresso in the morning!

mine about 4 inches tall and put out a side shoot...and it's grown from seed, so it wasn't due to a cutting...i might fertilize in the morning too...give it christmas suprise! :)

It is already to use,I have alot of bap that was going to be used to for tc but I failed,
I don't really want to spend more $$ on a pressure cooker other than that I'd be tcing.
Yes it is dissolved in NaOH I have like 30 mil of that,40 mils of ppm,20 liters of dry MS,agar everywhere and other stuff but I don't want to spend the money really.....
I was considering dissolving a small 2 mills per liter of water or maybe a agar gell then put that on a woodey stem and see what happens.......

I've heard some Neps have looong memories if dosed with BAP.

Well I am hoping it would create alot of shoots then after the hormones get correct(normal) then I could root them all,I think if I could make a very weak past(3 militers to 1 quart of diy gel) that would go on 2 dormant node for experimintation if it works well cool if not not a cent lost.......
If they do produce shoots they will have that fresh out of tc vigor and behavior for awhile I think but it would be cool if this little idea works well......

Wow...I have no clue how I missed all these replies to this topic. The last time for me it said "new posts" was mid first page. Anyway:

Edax: foliar feeding neps is a waste of time. Neps absorb nutrients best through pitchers, then roots, then leaves.

JM,
15mg/L of 6-BAP will cause nothing but leaf senescence. Been there, done that. Make sure you realllllly don't care about the plant before you start treating it.

tony,
Where'd you hear that from? I'm not really aware of any experiments with BAP on neps, besides my own, which I haven't really talked about. If you're talking about them showing a different morphology from being treated with hormones (found on CPUK a while ago), that was my experiment too, and it was with GA3. Took about a year for them to recover btw.

Hmm... foliar feeds seem to have helped in the past. Then again it could be wishful thinking. Although once pitchers form I put the same foliar feed into the pitchers instead and that has definitely shown me results.

Phission what would cause basal shoot madness ???
I was figuring if bap causes multiplication in tc plants that it may do a lighter degree of that in a gelly form..
Umm what I just thought of it don't orchid peoples use a basal promotion pastes ???
I remember reading it somewhere....
Umm I found this "Gibberellins also reverse the inhibition of shoot growth and dormancy induced by ABA.[13]
Maybe if you got the right Gibberellin that is room tempeture stable(or is able to be kept in the fridge)
into a gel or something then you could have rapid shoot growth then you could take like 20 basals then root them..
Or am I just going off on some rabbit trail ???

Last edited:
Phission what would cause basal shoot madness
To be honest, the leaf senescence I saw may have been caused by too high a concentration of 6-BAP, or it may have been the result of the ingredients I used to dissolve the BAP in. Can't say for sure, as I haven't dissolved any BAP in NaOH.
But to answer your original question...I really have no clue. I was using it in order to do something else; not induce basals/side shoots. Theoretically though, you would assume that cytokinins, when overpowering the intracellular concentration of auxins, would induce such, but for some reason the way I did things did not (though it was not my goal, as aforementioned). Perhaps you could try another cytokinin, or another class of them. If I were you, I would just decrease the concentration to maybe 7mg/L if not a bit less and see how that goes. Auxins halt senescence, and cytokinins induce it, so it's not surprising that my plant lost over half of its leaves during the treatment.

Back