What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normal?

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well, for christmas I got a ventrata and I noticed something weird. The plant has both large main stems with 2 growth points because they took 2 cutting from each stem at different times and places. I was wondering if it is a normal effect on plants. I will get a pic. as soon as I find my connection cable.:blush:

Don't know about normality or typcal approach to the people putting them on the market, but I wouldn't worry about it. I make my own cuttings and new nodes / growth points eventually appear.

I don't think I understand what you're asking. Your ventrata has two growth points on the same plant?

I don't think it's any big deal. I have that happen often when I make a cutting that has more than one node on it. For example, if a cutting has two nodes on it, often both nodes become active and the plant has two growth points simultaeously. Sometimes I let them grow that way and sell/trade/give them away or I let the growth points grow until they have 6 or so leaves on them and then I cut them and root them individually. I don't think I've ever had a ventrata cutting that didn't strike. They're uber-easy.

I ment that when they had a cutting taken from the 2 largest stems that 2 nodes activated on the same stem.

I had a coccinea that activated 9 nodes on 1 stem. It'll be fine.

multiple nodes=good.
you will have a bushy nep.

sorry, double post

So I shoudl just leave them to grow? Or should I make 2 cuttings?

Let them grow for a while at the very least.

xvart.

multiple nodes=good.
you will have a bushy nep.

Multiple duplicate posts, on the other hand.....

:-P-:

Nepenthes x ventrata is probably the most vigorous/bomb-proof nep in existence. Let it grow as many growth points as it wants.

If the plant was a weak/difficult plant like N. aristolochioides, multiple growths on a small plant can "drain the plant's energy" making it weaker and more suceptible to pests/weather fluctuations etc. This sort of "energy draining" phenomenon is common in VFT's and pinguiculas which can literally flower themselves to death.

Multiple growths on a small plant is likely an artifact of hormone use in tissue culture and in stronger plants (like your ventrata) it is actually beneficial to the plant, making it bushier.

Back