What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of my nep seedlings, thanks Zero!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
Check 'em out! N. mirabalis seedlings from Penang (If I remember the tag correctly).

mirabalisseedlings2.jpg

mirabalisseedlings1.jpg

Just sprouted on December 24th (or that's when I checked) which makes it three weeks to the day after I sowed them. This pic was taken on the 27th, so a few days after I made the discovery (Merry x-mas to me!).

woohoo. I got some of those seed from someone else here, and since they are from ICPS, I was concerned about their viability. I probably sowed mine right around when you did. I'm out of town now though, so I can't check :(

PK, I donated 15 packets to the ICPS, they might be from me???
N. mirabilis Mengkuang Titi Penang.
peace,
Zero

I sent a bunch out. anyone else have germination?
mine just started yesterday:)

Oooohhh... exciting! I have some of those seeds, too! I sowed mine a little later than you guys did. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

xvart.

hehehe nep seedlings. I made that mistake once when Pyro was giving out some raff x (?) seeds a year or so back. I have about a hundred little neps, about the size of a nickel...

hehehe nep seedlings. I made that mistake once when Pyro was giving out some raff x (?) seeds a year or so back. I have about a hundred little neps, about the size of a nickel...

Well I know one way to clear up some room. Just send me all the ones you think are going to be females...

xvart.

Looks like you have great germination.

I just went and checked mine............. Nothing :-(

I should have let someone else have the seeds. Winter time is not a good time for me to try to germinate seeds. The house is too cool and the only place I have to place them does not get much sunlight at all.

Nice. I did the "really harsh conditions" treatment to limmit the seedlings - only those tough enough survived. I got it down to five, gave away two, and still have three. After a little over a year, they're around 5" in diameter. I love time release fertilizer (osmocote in this case, but I usually use special nep stuff).

Geck, I'm not sure how much light has to do with germination - temperature would be your biggest hurdle. Put them over your grow lights for some bottom heat. Just not directly ON the lights, or you'll cook them.

I just got back from the Bahamas and only had a minute to look at my plants; but, I think I see at least a couple sprouts of the same seed batch. I'll have to look a little more closely tomorrow after work but my quick glance looked like growth from the seed and not any "weedyness."

xvart.

It's so exciting when you get germination on seed. And you just gotta love baby neps. They get little pitchers even when they are teeeeenie tiny.

What are those lighter strands?

I just got back from the Bahamas and only had a minute to look at my plants; but, I think I see at least a couple sprouts of the same seed batch. I'll have to look a little more closely tomorrow after work but my quick glance looked like growth from the seed and not any "weedyness."

xvart.

Definitely germination. Sown 12/16/07 and germination around 1/6/08.

xvart.

Guess what I noticed today when watering. I have germination. :-O

I guess the cooler temps I have mine in made it take a lot longer to germinate then everyone else's.
I had actually given up on them. I've got over 20 seeds are or in the process of germinating, so there may be many more to come.

elgecko,
I have cooler temps, and find it absolutely takes longer for germination, and subsequent slower growth, at least for a little while. I have some seed that didn't germinate for about five months!

Capslock

Hey! I just noticed like 3 days ago that I had some nep germination... I think they were seeds from Zero... I'll have to check and I'll let you know which they are! :) Interesting it took mine like 2 months longer though. Must be the cooler temps I guess...

(whatever they are, they're my best success rate so far on nep seeds!)
Thanks!
Andrew

Yep, same seeds. I'm in the same boat as a few of the others with the cooler temps... My success isn't as good as some of the others here.. but since they just started, perhaps more will pop up :)

Here's a shot of mine.

nep-seedlings-005.jpg

all my nepenthes seed come out root first and shed the seed coat. why do your all's come up stright fro mthe seed??

Alex

PICS of my N. mirabilis seedlings. way to high of a germination ratio. not sure if I need to thin them out.

tray, mirabilis on the left
trayseed.jpg

close up
miribilisseedclose.jpg

peace,
Zero

Back