What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caught growth point

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
One of my Neps is currently recovering from a beyond-bad growing location. It seems to be doing a lot better in it's new location, however the growth point is somewhat stuck at the moment.

Super apologies for not being able to take a pic of this, but I'll try my best to describe it.

The previous leaf died back, however 'caught' the growth point of the stem by some how curving around it. Now the stem is growing in an upside-down U shape. I feel it's really critical that this growth point develop normally as the plant will most likely not survive without it. What do you think I should do? I'm thinking I'll either try to pluck it free (it might some how be connected to the other leaf, not sure how its holding it) or worst case cut it as far as possible. I'm just worried how tender the point is to damage.

This is a Rafflesiana by the way.

Thanks for the advice. If I can nab a camera I'll post a pic of it.

Are you saying that the growth point is still half way in the newest leaf which has just died? If so I would say just cut off the leaf it is attached to as close to the main vine as you can and the growth point will pull itself out once it adapts to it's new location. But I probably don't quite understand what you mean without a pic. Hope it helped =/

-J.P.

Thanks J.P!

I think the leaf got that is dying back got damaged during development, so it never formed to a complete size and died early on (the plant probably had days before death all together), while the leaves below that one are still there, this one got messed up along the way and looks to be taking the ship with it.

For some reason didn't think of cutting the dead one. I just did it, and it looks like the new shoot can carry on, sadly I gave the dead part a little tug, and it took just a tad of the new point with it. But I feel that it can continue to grow to normal size as just a leaf and keep truck'n until it can make another.

Keep'n the fingers crossed on this plant.

Sorry for the dup post, but ended up running to get the office camera anyways. Here's what it looked like.

GrowthTipIssue.JPG

I'm holding the trouble dead end by my fingers in the photo. It basically made a tube around the growth tip and had no plans of letting it go. Hopefully the plant can continue on. It's still not out of the woods, but my setup is eons better than what caused all the mess in the first place. So far, the neps are all showing signs that they like the new home.

He's still my first lowland, so it's been a learning experience for me with this one. I might end up making a lowland tank and put it in my office at work. (They can pay for the power hehe)

Nate

Back